Shimano Long Drop Brakes/Cartridges

Nuggs
Nuggs Posts: 1,804
edited October 2008 in Workshop
Hi Gang

I've fitted a pair of Shimano A550 long drop callipers to my winter bike:

http://shinybikes.com/bikes/shimano-a55 ... rakes.html

The brake pads look naff and in any case, I'd like to fit some Kool Stop Salmon pads for the winter weather.

Any idea if I can just bolt on a pair of Kool Stop Dura Holders in place of the OEM rubbish?

Comments

• robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Give the pads a good scrub with some plastc scouring pad and water and clean the rims with isopropyl alcohol or meths on a clean rag. You'll be amazed. See park tools website for how to toe the blocks in to reduce squeal too.
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    They look very similar, if not the same as the Shimano deep drop I fitted to the rear of my winter trainer - That's running Swisstops in Shimano holders which I think are essentially DA pattern.

i.e. Should work but can't give you a definitive.

The standard Shimano blocks are pretty good IMHO.
    As Rob suggests, try dressing the blocks and cleaning the rims.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Thanks guys - I'll try that before parting with my hard-earned!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I'm going to replace the rubbish pads in my SCR 2's Tektro brakes and favour Kool-Stop after using them on the MTB.

Does anyone know if the Kool-Stop Dura Inserts will fit my brakes (Tektro dual pivot long reach)? Ta.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • mercurykev
    mercurykev Posts: 264
    edited October 2008
    I fitted the Kool Stop Dura pads to my A550s and it required a bit of fettling to make them fit. I had to dremel the inside of the brake slot, as it was slightly too narrow. I also had to add a couple of washers to the cartridge, because the bolt was bottoming out. It wasn't too tricky to do.
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    mercurykev wrote:
    I fitted the Kool Stop Dura pads to my A550s and it required a bit of fettling to make them fit. I had to dremel the inside of the drake slot, as it was slightly too narrow. I also had to add a couple of washers to the cartridge, because the bolt was bottoming out. It wasn't too tricky to do.

Ah - yes, I'm led to believe this is the essential difference between Campag. and Shimano shoes - the bolts. Surprised your DA blocks needed fettling though.

For the Tektro deep drops, I have found Campag. shoes fit. (and also Campag. cables - which don't fit on Shimano deep drops) Not tried Shimano shoes.