Shamal Ultra or Neutron Ultra?

JWSurrey
JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
edited October 2008 in Workshop
Not sure I totally understand the difference between these, given that the Shamal Ultras are actually lighter than the Neutron Ultras....
Does that mean there's more rotational weight in a Shamal but the Neutron has heavier hubs?
Neutrons more forgiving on undulating surfaces?
How can a mid section wheel be lighter than the standard section?!

Any alternatives to Neutrons (lightweight non aero climbing wheels with non carbon rims in Campag. 10sp).

Comments

• Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Tune hubs on Open Pros? I prefer mine to my Eurus wheels.
  • jaredpace
    jaredpace Posts: 111
    Not sure I understand myself. However I just ordered the Shamal's from Mike at Maestro-UK to go with my new Colnago. Mike's pricing is very good to the extent I've gone for the ceramic bearing option, and they're still the same as everyone else's non ceramics. Give Mike a ring if you're serious, I'm sure he will be able to help you with the finer details.
    Jared
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The Shamal has a deeper rim and bladed aluminium spokes whereas the Neutron is a more traditional shallow rim profile with bladed stainless steel spokes - the Neutrons are likely to feel a bit more compliant than the Shamals - the deeper rim and stiffer spokes will have a little less 'give'. Both are good wheels - depends on what you want to use them for.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Ah- Thought that may be the case.
    Odd that the Shamals should theoretically be the same weight.

Just bored and considering a new Titanium winter steed plus a new summer full carbon boneshaker.... Quite fancied trying out those tubeless tyres, which the Shamals will take but always fancied a pair of Neutrons just to see what they're like.
    Not so keen on the fact that only Hutchinson do tubeless for roadies at the present time.

Much prefer my handbuilts though, TBH, and not a fan of full carbon rims or paying uber bucks for Hyperons lest they find one of those Surrey potholes, or someone else's wheels on the club run/sportif circuit.

Will probably in reality stick with the handbuilts for the winter bikes and most probably a pair of Neutrons for summer as I'm guessing Shamals and a stiff carbon frame may just be a bit too painful for anything other than crits and hill climbs.