SKS Raceblades

sicrow
sicrow Posts: 791
edited October 2008 in Workshop
Are these the best option to use if you cant fit standard guards on your bike ?

Comments

• Yes. They move about a bit, but yeah, still the best.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Just fitted a set this very week - hopefully first commute tomorrow with them so will report back.
    Their coverage and, I feel, spray blocking, is much less than proper guards but
    a) Bike doesnt have eylets etc for proper set
    b) Will likely want to remove them for fitting into car etc
    These should be a decent compromise between cutting the spray and allowing quick removal when required.

If you can fit proper guards wven with a little hacksawing of them then I'd consider that in place of the raceblades : these do not have a section behind the seattube or in front of the front caliper so you will get a bit of spray.

Just remembered : Salmon guards might be an alternative for you ? Very narrow 'central' blade to them, no side section so fit tight clearance frame.
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    I've used them in the past and found them okay. Make sure you fit the protective tape around your stays where the rubber bands grip on otherwise you can be down to bare metal in no time with them shifting about a bit in use.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Good tip about the tape - I'd try something like cloth tape like the stuff used on aero bar extensions.
    One thing I found is that on my front fork, due to the shape (quite a narrow 'aero' shape)the plastic mount doesn't want to sit nice and straight on it. I think I'll add a couple of turns of cloth tape to here as well as the rear stays to see if this make a better profile for that to remain steady on.
    First ride, 17.5miles in to work this morning and they seem fine, minor tweak to raise the front a few mms to stop tyre rub and off I went. Front still 'chirps' out of the saddle but I can put up with this and hopefully I can eliminate this soon.
  • damage36
    damage36 Posts: 282
    Yeah, I had to a adjust a little during my first ride, but they've been fine since.
    Agree with the above on the protective tape, and they are easy on/off.

I went down what I would describe as "a silly Audax route" that my old man suggested instead of my usual commute, but it was so muddy, my forks, BB area and stays were a mess. So they're not 'heavy duty' for muddy lanes, but I've found them to be great for wet roads.
    Legs, lungs and lycra.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    I've got some clip on BBB types from the LBS on his recommendation. They're great; one of the best things I have bought from him. But then he is a cyclist (ex-racer). Judging by my jackets and jerseys, ther seems to be little spray. Even some of the other guys at the club have bought them.

http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP4043.aspx?TRACK%3dDDI

(not sure how to paste in the URL)

A metal clip fits onto the frame, front and back, behind the brake securing nut and the plastic guards just clip on to these when you need them.