Red Tape selling unofficial Trek/Specialized etc?

Deisel Weisel
Deisel Weisel Posts: 15
edited October 2008 in MTB buying advice
What red tape and/or legalities do these manufactures place infront of people selling official, and as I intend, unofficial bikes in the UK? I’ve heard stories, but what are the exact details?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what are you actually asking?

buy from abroad and you may have no warrenty.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Deisel Weisel
    Deisel Weisel Posts: 15
    edited October 2008
    nicklouse wrote:

I've heard that Specialized and Trek (maybe others) don't allow internet trading on new bikes, but I'm going to be unofficial, so can they stop me selling bikes on the internet?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sorry you are thinking of doing some selling?

what can they do? Not sell you any bikes. not provide any warrenty support....
    But you still have to provide the warrenty.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    nicklouse wrote:

I've heard that Specialized and Trek (maybe others) don't allow internet trading on new bikes, but I'm going to be unofficial, so can they stop me selling bikes on the internet?

No, I don't think they can stop you, provided someone will sell them to you.

But they can (and I'm pretty sure Trek have) refuse to sell to the person supplying you. Also they won't honour any warranties sold by shops that aren't dealers (aside from you having to send customers wanting warranty work done elsewhere to even get the bits) or where the first free service wasn't carried out by the shop (hence their dislike [though not ban, to my knowledge] of online sales).