Hardtail for £700

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, Im new to the forum.

I am looking to buy a hardtail MTB for up to £700. I was looking at the Cube Comp LTD 2009 and a few other things... The BeOne Karma 3.0 2008 as well as the GT Avalanche Expert 2008.

Any thoughts or advice? I am a triathlete so have absolutely no idea when it comes to offroad. The only advice I have recieved so far was from my wee brother who told me to "Buy a Santacruz superlight, that's what I'd do."

Cheers in advance.

Stuart

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anyone?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look for the old What Bike thread for ideas on 2008 bikes.

But what sort of off road riding will you be doing?Just canal paths? Or more serious trails?
  • Anonymous
    I had a look at the thread but still felt a bit lost. I plan on doing some more 'serious' off road stuff and xc type riding. Just a bit stuck really... The 2009 Cube has the new Tora SL fork but the 2008 has the old Tora with 80mm instead of 100. Most of the other kit on it is the same for the new model but I could maybe get it foe £50 less. Just wondering if it was worth the compromise.

Also havent heard much about the GT or the BeOne and just wondered what anyone though.

Cheers

Stuart
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The new Tora Race is lighter than the trail models (ie numbered models) so a good bet for XC unless you are very heavy and want a stiffer fork.

2008 bikes are generally better value - pays if you can test a few out though.

GT Avalanche is a more relaxed ride than the cube - lbit shorter, bit heavier, but designed for slightly harder riding. Good value though.

Might also want to look at The Rockhopper Expert and discounted GT Zaskar Experts. Zaskar is more akin the the Cube in styling (XC)

BeOnes are hit and miss. I had a BeOne Drone - stripped it for parts as was such good value! Frame was great , but some I see are poor value. And CRC only means no way of testing for size.
  • Welcome!

What sort of riding are you going to do? Are you looking for a racey XC machine, a do anything runabout, or something a bit tough?

All three look OK, can't find the Beone Karma 3 for sale, but found a review so could see the spec.

Also have a look at Boardman Comp http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_241877_langId_-1_categoryId_165499 The spec is pretty much unbeatable for the money.

Have a look for 08 model bikes, as the spec will be better for the money, even before sale discounts.

Try tredz.co.uk, (Scott, Specialized, various others)
    paulscycles.co.uk, (diamondback axis is a curve ball!)
    edinburghbicyle.com, (own brand, revolution, are well specced)
    merlincycles.co.uk (malt, rock lobster or commencal)
    for some good deals.

[/url]
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • Anonymous
    Thanks for all your help... Feel a bit more in the loop.

I plan to do some Xterra triathlons next season which are quite technical XC style courses. I also plan to ditch the road bike when the weather gets really poor and do some 2/3hr rides on trails etc. I realise £700 isnt a lot of money for something like that but its all I can afford!

Had a look at the Boardmans... Was tempted but I refuse to buy anything out of Halfords!

Thanks again for the advice, Ill let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Stu
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    pauls cycles have zaskars in all sizes for £650 ish.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?