Sealskinz socks?

bells0
bells0 Posts: 414
edited October 2008 in MTB buying advice
Anyone use sealskinz socks? - lot of mula, but may get a pair if they do a good job of keeping my pinkys dry and warm!!

Comments

• Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    :? Most people wear them on their feet !!!
  • bells0
    LOL - my toes are my pinkys too! :wink::lol:
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Yep. I like them. Got two pairs, light blue and dark blue bands - dark blue are for really cold weather. They are pretty waterproof and warm, but your feet will still get wet from sweat :lol: Better than cold feet though.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Nothing will keep your feet dry on a long wet ride, but sealskinz will help keep you warm.

which reminds me, must get a new pair, my old ones just broke after 5 years use.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    I have the knee length ones which go on under my bib tights. You get water in them from spashes against your legs where the water runs down and in the top of the sock. That is why I changed to the knee length as there are lots of deep puddles around where I ride.
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    Lidl sells breathable waterproof motorbike boot liners /over socks when they have the motorbike stuff in. I have 2 pairs. Wear them over normal socks 'cos they're not lined. Can't remember exact cost but less than a fiver a pair. Warm and dry feet - lovely!

EDIT:

Except when splashing through deep puddles ^^^. They come to just above the ankle. They get a bit sweaty on hot days too but you wouldn't be wearing them then would you?
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I find Sealskinz do a reasonable job on mild days - but my feet get frozen in them if it's at all frosty.

And water always gets in the top.

On balance, I prefer woollen hiking socks for winter and wet (feet stay warm even when socks are sodden).
  • cjw
    Chaka Ping wrote:
    I find Sealskinz do a reasonable job on mild days - but my feet get frozen in them if it's at all frosty.

And water always gets in the top.

On balance, I prefer woollen hiking socks for winter and wet (feet stay warm even when socks are sodden).

which ones have you got? They do a few versions for different temperatures. Mid light aren't so warm wheras mid thermal I find keep me warm to below 0c
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I have the light and mid light ones - are the warm versions wool-lined?

Do you still get water running down your legs and pooling round your feet with them too?
  • cjw
    Yes they're Merino lined. Of course water will still run down your leg :lol:
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • I have a pair of the lined ones and they're great, but as has been said they do let a bit of water in from the top as they're not that tight round the calf area.
    I find they work best with slightly larger shoes so I can wiggle my toes about and keep the blood flowing.

Just becareful if you walk around your car or whatever in just your socks as I managed to rip a pair right through the waterproof layer too!
  • I have the medium ones and can honestly say they are one of the best accessories I have bought in the last 2 years.
    If I wear water proof trousers then unless you go through very deep puddles (which I tend to avoid) then my feet stay dry. If a bit of water does get in then they have a wet suit effect and still stay warm in most cases.
    If its very cold I find wearing thin thermal socks under them works well.
    Worth every penny imo.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I have the Mid Lites, they're one of the best purchases I've made for mountain biking. That said they are only short so you stand a chanc eof water getting into them BUT I find you get the "wet-suit" effect with them in that even if your feet are wet, they stay warm.

Also, Sealskinz have just launched a calf-length Mid Lite too, so that should solve the problem. I wear a thin pair of cotton mix socks under mine and a half-size larger shoe in winter (661 Duallys) and my feet are pretty much toasty.

Yes they might seem a bit pricey but well worth the wonga if you ask me.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • bells0
    Cheers for the comments chaps - shall invest in some from Merlin and grab a pair of the Altura shorts they are selling at a bargain too! :)
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Seal skinz socks in action:

MeCrossing.jpg

This was a chilly day on Dartmoor and despite my feet getting soaked, they stayed warm for the rest of the ride.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    They are good - get the thickest/warmest ones.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • cjw
    Matt,

You should have been wearing the kit in your avatar picy instead :wink:
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    cjw - I had considered it! Might have been a bit sweaty though!