1) Cleaning...2) Carbonising

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited October 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
1) The top tube on my XCR has become matte instead of the shiney black...any ideas how i get my shine back?

also i'm planning on striping it and giving it a full clean, and guides? i cant seem to access the parktools cleaning guide :(

2) i'm wanting to spec up my bike slowly, using a carbon theme.
what carbon products would people recomend? i would want to try and keep to the same brand as much as possible. also, are carbon products actual carbon, or are they metal products wrapped in carbon?

things i eventually want:-
Stem
Riser Bar
Seatpost
Seat
Brakes
Wheelset
Cranks

Anything else i can carbonise?

i know most peopele will think...WHY!! but its a theme, and i loooooveeee carbon stuff!!

B

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Not sure about the polishing, but a car product should work. as for carbon lovliness:

Bars: easton or FSA (full carbon with alloy inserts in clamping areas)
    Stem: Stick to alloy
    Seatpost: Stick to alloy, CF only really suitable for roadwork
    Spacer: yes, many types
    Saddle: Loads to choose from, ranging from carbon shells, carbon rails and full carbon (v expensive)
    Brakes: Carbon/TI rotors, carbon levers, carbon finishing bits (hope are good for this apart from the rotors)
    Wheels: Yes but not very cost effective
    Forks: DT have taken over pace, so CF should be available, of the RS ones with carbon steerer/crown
    Skewers: can be had, i think controltech do some
    Chainrings: poshbikes, but i don't think they shift too well
    Cranks: A few offroad ones are full carbon for the arms/spider, some alloy skeletons with carbon
    Bolts: Poshbikes do some for non-load-bearing bits
    Derraileur cages can be had
    jockey wheels can be had
    I'm sure i've seen CF upgrades for shifters
    Some wheels have CF spokes.
  • kewl cheers for the reply :)
    how come you wouldn't recommend carbon stem or seatpost?

i've been looking at these so far:-
    Raceface carbon next xc riser bars
    Raceface next sl seatpost
    Raceface next xc cranks
    Raceface dues XC stem (if i dont use carbon)
    FSA K-Force SD Lite Carbon Saddle
    FSA Orbit I Carbon Headset
    FSA Spacers Carbon
    Hope mono mini pro disc brake

wheels, will come last probably...most expensive, but i dont even know if i'd want carbon wheels....dont seem to have good strenght reviews for the price!
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I would say there is nothing wrong with a carbon post - the are fine for MTB use and can take come of the sting out of the ride. Fizik saddles are good for and available with carbon structure.

I know you have said you love carbon, but some things, like cranks, just aren't worth it IMO. XTR performs at least as well as carbon stuff but much cheaper. Carbon stems are completely pointless they are alloy stems coverey in carbon. I would say that whilst the Avalanche is a good frame it's not really worthy of some of these parts. Surely a carbon frame should be top of your list?
    One more thing, don'tgo for the ridiculous stuff like carbon bolts, chainrings etc - they are ridiculously expensive for worse performance than normal materials!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • some good points..
    i cant afford a carbon frame, and dont really want one if i'm honest :shock: the XCR is a long travel 130mm frame that i use for all mountain/trail riding/xc.

i'm basically just looking to pimp the bike up a bit...the GT bits and pieces on it are a bit...plop :lol:
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    you can match most stuff with Ritchey WCS...

Take a look at the link below on mine. I like carbon too :lol:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • your bike is where i got the idea from.....ages ago when i joined the site :lol: just couldn't remember who's bike it was!!

i've been looking at the ritchey stuff, how do you rate it?
    also how do you find that juicy carbons? i've reaaally gone off avid brakes, but love the hopes on the zaskar hense my choice :)

thats a really nice frame too :) i take it 100mm is the most travel you can get away with without ruining the geometry? i couldn't manage without my 130mm...tis perfect!!
  • cjw
    Ritchey stuff has been excellent so far (nothing broken and I've done some rather heavy landings on the seat!), the stem isn't carbon (they do one but it is heavier than the ali version).

Juicy Ultimates work well apart from - bite point adjuster on the front brake has stripped thread - not a big problem but anoying - and I cant find just the worm drive anywhere, and the front loses power a little after a long downhill when it gets hot (might be time for a bleed).

I think if I were to replace I would probably go for new Formula R1s (if the long term reviews turn up OK - bit early yet).

Reckon you would be right about 100 being max. Many run 80mm! So no go for 130mm forks.
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • thats the problem i've found with most carbon frames...not really made for higher travel (plus theyre bloody expensive!)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are starting to make DH frames from carbon now. Look at the new GT Fury (and the Force carbon).
  • supersonic wrote:
    They are starting to make DH frames from carbon now. Look at the new GT Fury (and the Force carbon).
    but full suspension is horrible :p (thats a bit contraversial isn't it!!) :twisted:
    i've been having that argument with my brother for the past 2 months, he'll only ride FS and i'll have to be forced to buy a FS bike :lol: (although i was tempted by a meta recently!)
  • cjw
    supersonic wrote:

And Scott Ransom....

Must try a full susser at some point - but I love the HT and agree with benj :lol:
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • HT for life....or untill my bro can get away from me on decents on his stinky 8)
  • i've been slowly carbonising my carbon ht, looked at all the options stems wise etc and yes cabon stems are often heavier than slloy ones, but! for the 20g extra i went for a carbon stem as it stood out from the rest!
    i have fsa K-force bars and seat post, super light! fsa team pro carbon cranks, also very light and Very stiff and an uber bargain of ebay!
    an itm stem (i think it is),
    am currently seeking a saddle and have my eye's on a few! haha! but went for kcnc jockey wheels as they looked good against the kmc gold chain!

ideally forks wise soome of the older sid team race's with the carbon steerer (sub 3lb) or for extra bling some of the pace carbon susp. forks, but at the mo not overly bothered on that front!

wheels wise i would love carbon ones but like yousaid, not all that practical for agressive trail riding!

ebay can be very good for carbon bargains! (i got a brand new k-force seatpost for sub £10!)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I would not touch FSA carbon cranks. The alloy sleeve on the non driveside arm which matches up to the splines on the axle comes loose from the carbon crank arm very easily - we have had 3 sets in the shop all with the same problem.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • any views on the raceface carbon cranks? theyre the ones i'm more tempted by if i'm honest :)