Before I complain to my LBS...

Justinjured
Justinjured Posts: 142
edited October 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Need a bit of advice!

I picked my bike up yesterday from my lbs, after they fitted new pads, and rebled the system.

On getting my bike back home I find both wheels barely rotate half a dozen times before coming to a halt. Obviously this is because they are rubbing on the rotors, but this cant be right can it?

I will probably phone the shop up this morning to say I am not happy, but dont want them fobbing me off, saying that this is a bedding in issue. Surely there should always be a working gap between pads and rotors???

What do you think?

Comments

• Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    That's not right, but I can't see how they'd have done that...

Check the wheels are in straight, and pull and release the levers a few times to see if they'll reseat further from the disc.

How much lever movement is there?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the pads need to bed in.

go for a ride.

but yes they could have done a better job.

what are the brakes?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Both levers have pretty little movement in them.

just seems that they put them in, bled the system and didnt bother to see if the wheels moved. They also have re-faced the back mount to try and give more space between rotor and pads, but this doesnt seem to have made any difference.

May go fo ra ride to see if anything changes. will be like cycling with the brakes on though!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If they bleed then with the pistons not returned "home" then the system could be over full.

when i say a ride i mean a few 100 meters only.

but with what you are saying
    will be like cycling with the brakes on though
    it does sound like they do need to do something.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • When you went to pick the bike up, didn't they wheel it out from somewhere or didn't you push it out the shop? You would have noticed then?

How did you get the bike home? Did you take it home in a car? Did you remove the wheels to get it in the car? Did you squeeze the brake levers when you had the wheels removed?
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    do you know if they recentered the brakes? If only one pad is rubbing it could be that the calipers just need to be reset. Lossen off the retaining bolts ( the ones joining hte calipers to the adaptor ) then spin the wheel and then pull the brakes, hold the brake leaver down and do up the retaining bolts again.

Bike should have done that tbh
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • When you went to pick the bike up, didn't they wheel it out from somewhere or didn't you push it out the shop? You would have noticed then?

How did you get the bike home? Did you take it home in a car? Did you remove the wheels to get it in the car? Did you squeeze the brake levers when you had the wheels removed?

The wheels do go round, just not very well. Bike was on back of car on way home, so wheels havent been off.

Spoke to the shop yesterday and they suggested that the external temparatures may have made an adverse affect. Not sure why that would make a diffrence to the pressure of the fluid???

They suggested letting some fluid out of the system, to see if that helps. How easy is that??

thanks for the replies
  • The external temperature would generally be lower not higher, and metal contracts when it is cold. Tell them to go back to school.

If you have a bleed kit you can bleed a little fluid off from the bleed nipples. Or better still get them to do it for you.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • zaris
    zaris Posts: 337
    I've had this once on quad hydraulic brakes, try loosening up your caliper mount bolts, just a couple of turns...while your caliper is loose hold tight your brake levers and then retighten your caliper.if that fixes it then your good to go or you might have to get them to re-bleed the brakes.

I have juicy 5 and 7's none of which have ever caused this problem after bleeding, so in my opinion, something is off.

good luck
  • reluctant
    reluctant Posts: 600
    Maybe they didn't reset the pistons before fitting new pads. That would cause the brake to drag on both side, with little or no clearance. I'd ask the shop to get their top mechanic on the case, not the tea boy.
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    sounds like the pistons werent reset. also there could be too much fluid in the sytem, especially if they bled it after fitting new pads and not resetting the pistons. in which case you'll need to let some fluid out and reset the pistons.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/