Please complete this questionnaire for a University Project

tom_w
tom_w Posts: 7
edited November 2008 in The Crudcatcher
Please follow this link to fill in a questionnaire on a possible new product that prevents water and dirt ingress into the drive train. Surveys only takes a min, literally.

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/rendersurv ... ys2o500304

Many Thanks

Comments

• noidea
    noidea Posts: 623
    Done 8)
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by king andrew the 1st</i>

im currently sitting in front of my pc spinning away on my brothers signature edition
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Do I ride road, dirt or mud? What sort of question is that!?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    that was a bad question.

Oh yeah for ceramic BBs, the more water and dirt the better! you should have a question like ceramic or normal BB user?
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Is the bottom bracket part of the "drive chain"? If it is then my non-ceramic bottom bracket lasted less than a year, however we now have a ceramic bottom bracket fitted.

My view on this is that it's going to be very difficul to find something that MTBers might use that is any better than a well-oiled chain which should last at least a year and is quick and easy to replace. Everything has been tried such as chain oilers, enclosed chains, belt drives, shaft drives but at the end of the day you are riding a bike over rough terrain and there is nothing I can think of that could easily replace the cheap low-weight convenience of a chain and because the chain moves around such a lot nothing cheap and light that will protect it. If your chain is well lubricated it should throw off any dirt and water by centrifugal force, shouldn't it?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    done
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Nice idea, unlike some of the other projects we gat asked to comment on there isn't anything on the market that does this to my knowledge, however they may be a good reason for that.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Completed the survey.

Unless you are designing an internal gear system then your product may be unnecessary in 5 - 10 years time. For newer bikes anyway.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe