Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Will this recieve the same press?

SchmidthouseSchmidthouse Posts: 134
edited October 2008 in Pro race
Seven athletes - I wonder if the press cover will be the same as that of cycling positives.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/20102008/58/ ... r-ban.html

Tomashova receives two-year ban
Eurosport - Mon, 20 Oct 12:39:00 2008

Two-time world 1500m champion Tatyana Tomashova was one of seven Russian female athletes to receive a two-year doping ban for manipulating drug samples.

Tomashova, who also won a silver medal at the 2004 Athens Olympics and the European 1500m title in 2006, was provisionally suspended by the IAAF on July 31 for a fraudulent substitution of urine during a drugs test.

World indoor 1500m champion and world record holder Yelena Soboleva was also banned along with fellow distance runners Yuliya Fomenko and Svetlana Cherkasova.

European discus champion Darya Pishchalnikova, former hammer world record holder Gulfia Khanafeyeva and former world 5000m champion Olga Yagorova made up the list of athletes banned.

"All seven women were found guilty and thus were banned for two years," Russian Athletics Federation president Valentin Balakhnichyov said.

"The bans come into action from April or May 2007, the date when the samples were given for tests.

"We had undeniable proof of the athletes tampering with doping control process. The DNA in their samples just did not match.

"We could have banned them right then [in July] but first we had to give the athletes the chance to defend themselves.

"In every respect, they could not provide an adequate proof of their innocence, thus we had no choice but to ban them for two years which is a minimum sentence in this case."

Tomashova said that she was planning to appeal the ban.

"I don't consider myself guilty," she said. "As far as I know other girls are also planning to fight the ban in court."
There's no time for hesitating.
Pain is ready, pain is waiting.
Primed to do it's educating.

Posts

  • afx237viafx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Depends on where you look? It's top story on BBC's athletics page.

    How much press did Kohl get? I first saw the story when it scrolled across the ticker on Sky Sports News, but I didn't see or hear anything else about it. Cycling doesn't get much press even if doping is involved.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Depends on where you look? It's top story on BBC's athletics page.

    How much press did Kohl get? I first saw the story when it scrolled across the ticker on Sky Sports News, but I didn't see or hear anything else about it. Cycling doesn't get much press even if doping is involved.

    It's interesting isn't it. Here is Aus you get cycling press when the TdF is on, when Aussies do well (ie: Stuey's win at Roubaix) or its local racing or when there is a doping positive.

    Will be curious to see what cover this gets (but will probably have to wait till tomorrow).
    There's no time for hesitating.
    Pain is ready, pain is waiting.
    Primed to do it's educating.
  • this is pretty old news though. the real publicity comes when they're caught (so July for the athletes), not when they're punished. same for cyclists.
  • the Eastern block athletes are dirty as hell.
  • methodmethod Posts: 784
    Patrick1.0 wrote:
    the Eastern block athletes are dirty as hell.

    Unlike us westerners who are squeaky clean.

    Not that we're making generalisations or anything.....
  • KléberKléber Posts: 6,842
    A Scottish rugby player got rumbled for testosterone abuse today, the news has leaked out before he's had his B-sample tested.
  • dealdeal Posts: 857
    just did a quick analysis of the list of dopers from wikipedia, have only included countries that account for atleast 2% of the dopers listed. Interestingly it appeared there are more than a few western dopers :shock:


    16.80% USA
    6.81% Russia (including Soviet Union)
    5.33% Germany (including east and west germany)
    4.31% UK :cry:
    3.97% Italy
    3.52% France
    2.95% Bulgaria
    2.61% Greece
    2.50% China
    2.38% Australia
  • timoid.timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Gotta love the fact that the bans are backdated to start in May 07, which in effect means that they'll all be back in 6 months.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Tom ButcherTom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    That has to be a typo surely - they can't backdate the ban to the date of the offence can they - got to be the date they were suspended.

    it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • timoid.timoid. Posts: 3,133
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • dealdeal Posts: 857
    Just be glad its not MLS who just banned two players for 10 games and then made the following statement, presumably followed by laughter

    "MLS has one of the strictest drug policies in professional sports and holds its athletes both responsible and accountable for what they put into their bodies," commissioner Don Garber said. "This is an important statement as to the high standards to which we hold our players."

    or take a look at the typical bans given to baseball players in the past, until 2005 the policy was

    1st offence 10 days
    2nd offence 30 days
    3rd offence 60 days
    4th offence 1 year
  • In a 162 game season its almost worth getting caught once for a rest.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

    @gietvangent
  • afx237viafx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Kléber wrote:
    A Scottish rugby player got rumbled for testosterone abuse today, the news has leaked out before he's had his B-sample tested.

    His second positive too. The last time they found out about his positive in the morning, had a thorough investigation lasting, ooh, at least a few hours, and cleared him later that afternoon. It was all related to his asthma TUE, see.
  • KléberKléber Posts: 6,842
    Hormone abuse is significant in top level rugby, just look at all those players who have changed their physical appearance during the past decade.

    Anyone can bulk up but you don't get new jawlines and shadows on your forehead from a diet of weightlifting and three shredded wheat alone, it takes serious hormone abuse. No pundit dares question this though.
  • method wrote:
    Patrick1.0 wrote:
    the Eastern block athletes are dirty as hell.

    Unlike us westerners who are squeaky clean.

    Not that we're making generalisations or anything.....

    I am not saying anything out of turn. It's a well accepted fact amongst the athletes that the Eastern block athletes are, largely, dope cheats. This story just illustrates it for you. We have known it for years and years.
  • methodmethod Posts: 784
    Patrick1.0 wrote:
    method wrote:
    Patrick1.0 wrote:
    the Eastern block athletes are dirty as hell.

    Unlike us westerners who are squeaky clean.

    Not that we're making generalisations or anything.....

    I am not saying anything out of turn. It's a well accepted fact amongst the athletes that the Eastern block athletes are, largely, dope cheats. This story just illustrates it for you. We have known it for years and years.

    The story illustrates it how? The statistics don't back it up though do they. Would you say that USA athlete's are largely dope cheats? Black people are largely thieves, northerners are stupid and the Italians are fascist?
  • method wrote:
    Patrick1.0 wrote:
    method wrote:
    Patrick1.0 wrote:
    the Eastern block athletes are dirty as hell.

    Unlike us westerners who are squeaky clean.

    Not that we're making generalisations or anything.....

    I am not saying anything out of turn. It's a well accepted fact amongst the athletes that the Eastern block athletes are, largely, dope cheats. This story just illustrates it for you. We have known it for years and years.

    The story illustrates it how? The statistics don't back it up though do they. Would you say that USA athlete's are largely dope cheats? Black people are largely thieves, northerners are stupid and the Italians are fascist?

    Put it in whatever context you like, the Eastern block has a history of doping athletes. That's the simplest way I can put it without people blindly stating it's not true because it's not politically correct. I don't care whether it's politically correct or not, it's a well accepted truth amongst athletes and most within the athletics system.
  • KléberKléber Posts: 6,842
    So does the "Western Block" Patrick. For every Vinokourov, you'll find a Basso. For every Tomashova, you'll find a Jones.
  • methodmethod Posts: 784
    I'm not talking about political correctness, it's about backing your argument up with fact. Something you seem very keen on when it comes to Lance...
  • CumulonimbusCumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Kléber wrote:
    Hormone abuse is significant in top level rugby, just look at all those players who have changed their physical appearance during the past decade.

    Anyone can bulk up but you don't get new jawlines and shadows on your forehead from a diet of weightlifting and three shredded wheat alone, it takes serious hormone abuse. No pundit dares question this though.

    Any photos? I imagine my facial features would rearrange themselves if i had 100kg+ guys battering me every week for years :lol:
  • slojoslojo Posts: 56
    That has to be a typo surely - they can't backdate the ban to the date of the offence can they - got to be the date they were suspended.

    It's not a typo.
    It's common practice to backdate the ban to the time of the positive test.
    But in this case there wasn't a positive test as such. Just DNA analysis showing that these athletes had given several samples over time that appear to have come from several different people.
    Backdating the ban to the time of the very first sample is literally taking the p*ss.
    The IAAF are bound to appeal.
  • Patrick1.0Patrick1.0 Posts: 290
    edited October 2008
    method wrote:
    I'm not talking about political correctness, it's about backing your argument up with fact. Something you seem very keen on when it comes to Lance...

    The facts are there in front of you. How many of those athletes are from the Eastern Block? You do the math on that and come back to me.

    When it comes to Lance, because it's a case about an individual, then you have to provide strong evidence against him in order to label him a cheat. But I am starting to believe more and more myself that he may well have doped. But it's not the same as stating a simple fact that the Eastern Block has a history of doped up athletes. Honest to God, if you looked into a lot of these athletes from that part of the world - you probably don't know most of them by name - you'd start to see what I am on about. It's not just a few of them who are dopers, like in this country where most of our athletes are clean.

    There are countless cases of Eastern Block athletes getting busted in the sport of athletics. Not talking about cycling. It's just a well known thing. Sorry if you don't believe me. If you don't, you need to do a bit more looking around for yourself. Why should I have to go to the trouble of finding a list of all the banned athletes from the Eastern Block? There are loads of 'em.
  • KléberKléber Posts: 6,842
    Any photos? I imagine my facial features would rearrange themselves if i had 100kg+ guys battering me every week for years :lol:
    No way, I'm not going to point the finger as it's a quick way to get either myself or the owners of this site in court. Just look at some of the older members of the England XV and compare them to photos of them over 5 years ago and maybe you'll see what I mean.

    You are right to say injuries could change your looks but it's unlikely you would get a symmetrically identical longer jawbone as a result of a facial injury.
  • methodmethod Posts: 784
    Patrick1.0 wrote:
    method wrote:
    I'm not talking about political correctness, it's about backing your argument up with fact. Something you seem very keen on when it comes to Lance...

    The facts are there in front of you. How many of those athletes are from the Eastern Block? You do the math on that and come back to me.

    When it comes to Lance, because it's a case about an individual, then you have to provide strong evidence against him in order to label him a cheat. But I am starting to believe more and more myself that he may well have doped. But it's not the same as stating a simple fact that the Eastern Block has a history of doped up athletes. Honest to God, if you looked into a lot of these athletes from that part of the world - you probably don't know most of them by name - you'd start to see what I am on about. It's not just a few of them who are dopers, like in this country where most of our athletes are clean.

    There are countless cases of Eastern Block athletes getting busted in the sport of athletics. Not talking about cycling. It's just a well known thing. Sorry if you don't believe me. If you don't, you need to do a bit more looking around for yourself. Why should I have to go to the trouble of finding a list of all the banned athletes from the Eastern Block? There are loads of 'em.

    I don't need to look around for myself, I'm aware of the reputation the Eastern Block have and why the have it. The point I'm trying to make is that they aren't any dirtier than the US or the rest of Europe for that matter. They may be different in that if rumours are true, their doping programs were state run back in the GDR and other places. But whether individuals dope or their team dopes them, the outcome is the same. Look at the statistics Eastern Block countries aren't any worse than the rest of the World.
  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Here in the west, we're keen to dismiss the eastern bloc athletes for their dirty practises, but welcome their coaches with open arms and cheque books to instill their expertise on our good clean athletes - just that we're a little bit less careless in our, ahem, preparation. I wonder when the hormone abuse in professional rugby will come home to roost - HGH head is not a good look?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • slojoslojo Posts: 56
    OK pop pickers here's your top ten countries for IAAF drug busts 2003-2008.

    At number 10 with 15 bans its a three-way tie for Spain, Iran and Italy
    At number 7 with 17 bans its Germany
    Number 6 with 20 bans its China
    Number 5 with 21 bans its South Africa
    Number 4 with 24 bans its Morocco
    Number 3 with 42 bans its USA
    Number 2 with 45 bans is France
    And number 1 with an amazing 64 drug bans is . . . . . . . .. . . . RUSSIA
Sign In or Register to comment.