Upgrading Trek 1.5 Wheels

h14turbo
h14turbo Posts: 329
edited October 2008 in Workshop
As I'm sure alot of people here will know, the wheels on the 2008 Trek 1.5 are a bit on the heavy size. I was wondering what you would recommend as a decent affordable upgrade from these. Bearing in mind that I would sell the old set to recoupe some of the cost.

Cheers

Pierre

Comments

• h14turbo
    Would a set of Campagnolo Vento wheels be a significant upgrade?
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    I would think they would be an upgrade yes (although perhaps not a "significant" upgrade) - as long as you can get the shimano compatible set. They do look great though

Campag wheels also make a hell of a noise - they have really loud freewheels which some people like and some don't.

don't bank on getting too much money back for your 1.5 std wheels though - I can't imagine they would have a high retail value when new - probably about £40 or something.

have you looked at the shimano range? might offer a bit better value for money than the ventos
  • h14turbo
    OK, narrowed the selection down a bit. Which would you recommend, the Shimano RS20 wheels or the Mavic Aksium wheels. I am about 80kg.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    The RS20 and Aksium wheels are still fairly heavy so not much of an upgrade if weight is your concern.
    The RS20s are fairly basic and tough but i didn't think the ones i had were very well finished.
    I looked at Aksiums in a shop and they had a much better quality finish and looked good.
    I ended up with handbuilt Open Sport rims and 105 hubs, fantastic wheels for the price.
    Maybe you should look at some handbuilt wheels or higher spec machine built.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • h14turbo
    I weighed the wheels on my trek, both together came out as over 3kg with tyres on. If I take the weight of the tyres off, the wheels still come out as well over 2kg, considering both the above wheels weigh less than 2kg a set, surely the change in weight would be significant.
  • h14turbo
    I weighed the wheels on my trek, both together came out as over 3kg with tyres on. If I take the weight of the tyres off, the wheels still come out as well over 2kg, considering both the above wheels weigh less than 2kg a set, surely the change in weight would be significant.
  • gkerr4
    also remember the cassette - a fairly hefty chunk of the back wheel weight - but yes the other wheels you mention will be lighter

are they £100 lighter - well - only you can answer that.

It might be worth trying to raise your budget a little - for example the fulcrum R5's are available for around £150 and are closer to "mid-range" wheels with weight and performance to match (where the RS10/aksium/vento/R7's are all labeled as "entry level") - so that extra £50 gets you into a different league - see what I mean?

Actually - after the point of the R5's (IMO) you start to get into diminishing returns in terms of weight or performance per pound
    I have read many users reviews who think that the R5's are about the best "value" upgrade you can make.
  • h14turbo
    Ok, My budget can extend to Fulcrum R5s. My only other though was the Kore Gradient wheels, although I have not heard much about them, they seem light and pretty well priced.

Thanks
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I would not bother "upgrading" to the likes of Aksiums or RS-20s, both decent wheels but not really much of an upgrade from what you have. To be honest I'd save a bit more until you can get something that will really make a difference. Personally on my road bike I went from Aksiums to DT Swiss RR1450s and very happy with that.

If you want light and relatively cheap Xero Lite XR-1s @£199 get good reviews, as do Planet X's wheelsets. In terms of wheels I have direct experience of, the Ultegra/Open-Pro 32s I have on my tourer are actually lighter than the likes of Aksiums and very very smooth.

Also consider just changing the tyres and tubes, Schwalbe Ultremos are great and at 195g each could save you a fair amount over your current tyres. For tubes I use the 80g Vittoria ones rather than the crazy light 50g ones.
  • gkerr4
    h14turbo wrote:
    Ok, My budget can extend to Fulcrum R5s. My only other though was the Kore Gradient wheels, although I have not heard much about them, they seem light and pretty well priced.

Thanks

i've never heard of the kore wheels (or even the brand!) but im sure there will be some reviews along.

i still think fulcrum R5's are the way to go if the budget can extend.
  • h14turbo
    Ok, so because they are similar price, which would you recommend, the Xero Lite XR-1, or the Fulcrum Racing 5 Evo?

Cheers
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I don't personally have experience of either but I believe the Xeros are lighter while the Fulcrums are meant to be pretty bomb-proof.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have the Planet-X model B wheelset, very light for the money - £157

Model B:
    Front - 705g
    Rear - 948g
    QR's - 105g pair

These weights are accurate.

I haven't had mine long but they appear to be strong and well made. They spin really well (I mean, on the workstand if I spin the wheel it goes on turning for an age, much longer than other wheels I have).