• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    my teenaged kids, all the time!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    I may be being naive here, but isn't bebo for the youngsters only? Not really my thing though.
  • I'm on bebo. It's a good way to keep in touch with friends. :D
  • Ieuanllan
    Ieuanllan Posts: 152
    I'm a facebooker
  • Listened to an interview with the founder of Bebo and he stated that it was originally aimed at over 50's but was hijacked by kids.

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • tbeat
    tbeat Posts: 119
    i really thought everyone would have bebo. im 26, maybe im too old for it now. :) or i have to much time on my hands :D
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I'm not on any of these 'social networking' sites; I don't see the point. But then again I don't really know what they're about or how they're supposed to be sociable.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Crapaud wrote:
    I'm not on any of these 'social networking' sites; I don't see the point. But then again I don't really know what they're about or how they're supposed to be sociable.

I don't see the point in them, or the appeal of them, either. They started to take off just as I was finishing university, where we had a much more effective approach to social networking (i.e. The Pub (TM)) than spending oodles of time on MySpace and its ilk.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Crapaud wrote:

I don't see the point in them, or the appeal of them, either. They started to take off just as I was finishing university, where we had a much more effective approach to social networking (i.e. The Pub (TM)) than spending oodles of time on MySpace and its ilk.

David
    Agreed. I would much rather spend the small amounts of spare time I do get meeting with people in the real world rather than online.

My brother-in-law's a Facebook Friend Whore - he's collected over 300 and knows about 30 of them. That just seems like a barking waste of time to me...
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    So, can anyone explain just how these sites work and what's so good about them?

My limited understanding is that you find other folk who have the same, or similar, interests and chat about them. Kind of like a cross between 'pen pals' and a forum.

Or is it just a pointless craze that'll be obsolete in a few years?
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • FaceBook and Bebo Here..

Best Of Both Worlds..
    Handsome Dog Rockhound Custom Build.
    (Got Bored Of DMR)
    Roll On 24's People
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Crapaud wrote:
    So, can anyone explain just how these sites work and what's so good about them?

My limited understanding is that you find other folk who have the same, or similar, interests and chat about them. Kind of like a cross between 'pen pals' and a forum.

Or is it just a pointless craze that'll be obsolete in a few years?

What seems to happen is -

People you used to go to school with / work with contact you followed by a flurry of messages like, "What are you up to?" and "Where are you living?". You then slowly realise you both have nothing in common except a shared (rapidly fading) past. You then never log back into Facebook again.

Or maybe that's just me...
  • hey, im 14, and pretty much everyone in my year has bebo, myspace or facebook (and some them have all 3) i have twice made an account and twice deleted it, as i remembered how much of a waste of time it is. my english class was asked to write an essay on social networking and here are the main good points/ bad points.
    :arrow: low cost communicating, speaking to friends without the arduousness of being face to face. fun?!?!?!?!?
    :arrow: bullying, social problems (cant hold a conversation face to face), cowardness..... health problems (these are bad points....
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I'm on facebook, my "band" are on MySpace (we only go drinking now we're 18 ).

facebook is cool because of Pirate English, keeping tab on drunken nights out, keeping in touch with older brothers, chatting to the person who lives two floors below me, saving my voice by sending messages rather than just shouting out the window, organising nights out and generally stalking old friends!

MySpace is just inhabited by emus now, so best to stay away!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Jez mon wrote:

Shame but he has got a lot of time on his hands since Rod Hull died!

Whereas in the past he spent a lot of time on Rod Hull's hands :oops:
    I have pain!
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    ivancarlos wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

Shame but he has got a lot of time on his hands since Rod Hull died!

Whereas in the past he spent a lot of time on Rod Hull's hands :oops:

:)

Reminds me of when I read in the news a few years back that Matthew Corbett was mostly handing over the reins of The Sooty Show to someone else, but still putting in the odd appearance; I remember thinking at the time that "it was just to keep his hand in", and have been waiting ever since to get that gag off my chest!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal