I need some lighting advice

Soni
Soni Posts: 1,217
edited October 2008 in Workshop
Hello, i need to purchase some lighting due to the time i ride in the mornings, and i would ideally like something that is rechargeable, but not the type where you place rechargeable batteries into a mains charger, as i had these years ago and the batteries don't hold their charge for that long.

So, i'm thinking of the Cateye Single Spot + for the front - i understand these are good?

However, this may sound a stupid question, but do they do a similar style of power design for the rear? I can only find normal battery type rears?

I don't want the hassle of keeping buying batteries, or the other hassle of rechargeables dieing the more you charge them.....

I ride a 1990's Marin Palisades Trail mountain bike on the road at present, but will be picking up my new Trek 1.5 Road Bike at the end of the month, so would like something compatible with both.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    For the back - the Smart 0.5W Superflash. Its about a tenner - yeah its not rechargeable as such - but you get hours and hours out of batteries for it - so its no hassle.

As to the front - no idea - sorry.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Plenty of lighting threads around - have a browse back through the topic. Start with the fenix torch thread below.
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    Soni wrote:
    but not the type where you place rechargeable batteries into a mains charger, as i had these years ago and the batteries don't hold their charge for that long.

I don't want the hassle of keeping buying batteries, or the other hassle of rechargeables dieing the more you charge them.....
    Sounds like you had dumb battery chargers which overcharged your batteries, thus reducing their capacity. That and current rechargeable batteries are much higher capacity than they were years ago. I can't see any reason at all to be dubious about these sort of batteries nowadays.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I just got a Fenix L2D for the front. Runs for a couple of hours in turbo mode on two AA rechargeables. As good as dipped headlights on the car. Quickly / easily / securely mounted to any bars using a Twofish Lockblock. Got mine (torch and lockblock) from www.thephotonshop.co.uk Best £45 I ever spent

Also have a look on the Vapextech website

You can now get 2900 mAh rechargeables if you're charging them up every day or two

Also now available are (slightly lower capacity) rechargeables that don't lose their charge

Also recommend their smart World charger
  • Have a search for ‘lighting’ there are loads of threads, but for what it is worth I use ‘Ay-up’ up front and a Dinotte rear.

Why this set up ? Well, I do a long commute (1hr 30min each way) which is a mixture of urban and rural, so needed long run times and LOADS of light.

The Dinotte rear light verges on the ‘offensive’ but it does mean that you will be seen by drivers who do seem to give you a slightly wider berth due to the brightness.
  • Shakka
    Shakka Posts: 73
    Soni wrote:

So, i'm thinking of the Cateye Single Spot + for the front - i understand these are good?

Bought my CatEye Single Shot Plus last month, at the time I thought it was fantastic, superb on unlit roads in the dark. However recently it's started breaking...

The following link explains all...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12588528
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    Why this set up ? Well, I do a long commute (1hr 30min each way) which is a mixture of urban and rural, so needed long run times and LOADS of light.

a 90 minute commute each way. now that's impressive!
    regards,
    dbb
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    sorry just a quick question. i orderd a pair of Electron 16LED EHP325 (for £58) tho mixed reviews of it with a 3.5 star from bikeradar and 5star with 2 reviews at chainreaction. has anyone had or has them? any help would be great
  • Blimey bobpzero, I will be very surprised if I am the first to be a little shocked at your choice, not that I suspect you can do anything but "take your medicine" now...

A Fenix L2D/L20D would have been my first choice if buying a front light now (for ~£45 including a lockblock), although the Cateye Single Shot is quite popular for a little more than you paid.

Just before the Fenix secret was let out of the bag last autumn, I pondered between the set you just ordered and the 5+10W Electron set and chose the latter. However, both are now far from the best bang for the buck.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Soni
    Shakka wrote:
    Soni wrote:

Bought my CatEye Single Shot Plus last month, at the time I thought it was fantastic, superb on unlit roads in the dark. However recently it's started breaking...

The following link explains all...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12588528

Thanks for the advise Shakka, i have just been down to my LBS and they had the Cateye but he also threw into the equation the Road Rat for the same price, he reckoned the Road Rat is brighter and a better light - so i thought i would come back and do some homework on the Road Rat before i make my decision......

Looks like it won't be the Cateye after reading that attached link.....
  • Soni
    PS. The RoadRat battery pack was bloody heavy - i was so surprised how heavy it was!!
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    "take your medicine" now...
    A Fenix L2D/L20D would have been my first choice if buying a front light now (for ~£45 including a lockblock)

Just before the Fenix secret was let out of the bag last autumn, I pondered between the set you just ordered and the 5+10W Electron set and chose the latter. However, both are now far from the best bang for the buck.

well could hav been worse. maybe ill past the electrons to my dad for his dahon folder once i can get a fenix. tho after testing on pitch black country road its not that bad.