How much bling is pushing it ? Advice needed

DTM12
DTM12 Posts: 163
edited December 2008 in Workshop
OK, I decided on a Lazer Genesis helmet. I have the option of getting the Paolo Bettini one. My question is would it be too flash harry ?? Or would you get the White one (below), and save yourself some mickey taking. Whats the protocol on these things :)

Would it make you want to beat me in a race even more. Be as honest as you like, are World Champ stripes a bridge too far ? Are they an open invitation to make yourself a social outcast with your riding mates ?

We all love to drop the guy on the climb who chose to put a replica polka dot jersey on, and we all probably think, ha what a k**b. If you passed me on a ride whilst I was wearing World champ stripes on my helmet, would it be the same thing as the polka dot loser, would I expect the same level of mirth :D

Lazer_WC_Helmet.jpg

LAZGEN-whitesilver.jpg

Comments

• gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    I would not wear a replica helmet - just too much.

Equally, I now rarely wear my replica shirts that I bought when I first got into road bikes.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    well, on the basis that the white one looks really boring, get the world champ one and raise your game.

By the way, where do you get these in the UK?
  • DTM12
    It'd be some raise ! :D
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Hey,

Go for the Bettini helmet. To hell with anyone who laughs at the world champion stripes. I have Tom Boonen - World Champion shoes, and nobody has ever noticed. Plenty notice my polka dot jersey though!

The Bettini helmet is available from probikekit I believe.

Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    At least the rainbow one would go with whatever colour jersey you were wearing. Personally I'd not get either angd go for a better-protecting (I believe) Specialized, but of the two it would be the white. Unless the stripey one were cheaper.
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    It may be old-school to think like this, but I reckon you need to have earned WC stripes to wear them.
  • Plenty of dudes running about the streets with replica Premiership football shirts on. It don't mean they are all top class footballers :roll: . If you want to wear a replica cycling shirt/helmet , go for it. I got the Bettini world champ replica kit because i liked it. If i'm racing or doing a sportiff i'll wear my club kit. But if i'm out on my own or with friends i'll wear the replica kit among other things.....At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what others think. Most people in the street (non cyclists) think we look like to**ers anyway. :roll:
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    Wearing a national / world champion jersey is a big no no I reckon (as recently discussed at length in another thread). But I don't see the problem with a splash of a rainbow band on the helmet - you get it on other things (shoes, retro casquettes...).

If you also had the accompanying Sidi shoes, jersey, socks, sunglasses... then you'd look a bit of a plonker. But the helmet's fine.

Besides, the white one is really, really, really dull.
  • alfablue
    I have world champ stripes on my Planet-X bars and saddle! I'm not changing them though, despite my failure to win at this level!!! (or any level, actually). To be honest, I would get ANY other helmet than the white one!
  • DTM12
    I am so pleased I started this thread. Seriously, its all the objective opinions that make forum postings worthwhile. I am no nearer knowing whether I could pull off the WC helmet but then I guess it was always going to be a personal decision anyway. But I am loving the opposing views.
    BTW, I currently wear a Spesh decibel in white, its a nice fit, but sits right on top of my head, well like a Mekon, or a Tefal head, I guess.

I have trawled all my LBS trying on loads of different lids for comfort, fit and of course anti-mushroom head properties. And I am afraid the bottom line is the Lazer, (for me) beats all the other hands down. I tried an Ionos (fit good, looked horrendous on me), I tried a Met stradivarius 199 (looked good, fit bad for me), New S-works 2D (Fit good, quality build, looks iffy, plus 4 out 5 of my club mates have one) Uvex FP1 (looks ok, fit no good for me). The Lazer (fit good, comfort good, looks perfect for my head) so whatya gonna do !!
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Bell Sweep R is a good compromise of flash and sobriety at a fair price
  • schilbach
    schilbach Posts: 101
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    Hey,

Go for the Bettini helmet. To hell with anyone who laughs at the world champion stripes. I have Tom Boonen - World Champion shoes, and nobody has ever noticed. Plenty notice my polka dot jersey though!

The Bettini helmet is available from probikekit I believe.

Pedro

+1. I think it looks cool - quite abstract!
  • DTM12
    Ah, I spotted it, forgetting the Rainbow stripes and all the bling, I realise why the bettini one looked better in my opinion when I tried them on. Its subtle but makes a difference. The black polysterene/styrofoam as opposed to the grey. It just looks right.

mind you I like the little gold bits and the tricolore on the back end, its just those damn rainbow stripes that would make may make me a laughing stock should I not be riding to a Bettini esque standard.

Oh I also forgot to mention. I am just coming off the back of a poor season and have my tail firmly between my legs after a few high profile failures (in my club obviously, not high profile in the wider scheme of things) to get over and put right next season. I am wondering whether a slightly less brash introduction to 09 would be more appropriate, would a less "look at me" attitude be more palatable
    :?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have a pair of BBB shades with the WC stripes on the arms...... :oops:
    I bought them because of the extra four sets of different coloured lenses that you get in the case, no other frame colours available.
    Never thought about them before, I guess I'll just have to remove them before hitting any climbs (I live in Norfolk :wink: ), or sprints to the next sign post!!!
    I wouldn't buy the Cadel Evans replica shoes, though....That's just asking for grief!! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • The shorts i wore on my commute today are white with world champ strips on them. Worn with black top and black knee warms and black helmet though.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    If you're having to ask then the answers probably no.

It does look better with the stripes though!
  • DTM12
    It sure does, but if its a bridge too far then I could live with the boring white one
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    If you like it more buy it. It also seems to me,from the photo, that it's more noticable safety-wise and what better excuse do you need!
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Aggieboy wrote:
    If you like it more buy it. It also seems to me,from the photo, that it's more noticable safety-wise and what better excuse do you need!

Got to agree there. Flashy stuff may be a bit much but anything that helps drivers see you
    better is ok by me. Well, almost anything. I use lots of yellow(bar tape, jersey's,).

Dennis Noward
  • how much 'bling' is pushing it? As soon as you stop being able to afford it, it's too much.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,055
    aracer wrote:
    It may be old-school to think like this, but I reckon you need to have earned WC stripes to wear them.

I am in this camp
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Def the Bettini. I mean, its got an Italian tricoleur on it.

Wearing the red white and green is scientifically proven to make you faster and more attractive to women. 8)
  • DTM12
    I am from Wales so the tricolore fits my National colours very well.
  • alfablue
    Forget what anyone thinks of you when you're riding - stuff 'em!
  • BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    As some others have said, I think it depends what you're wearing it with.

I much prefer the Bettini version to the white version. As long as you don't wear a world champ jersey at the same time, I don't think it matters. In fact it will be a cool element to the outfit.

And (as a girl), I do agree it's potentially more fanciable. :wink:
  • i'd go find the womens specific one in pink, buy it, wait for someone to make a smart arse remark and then thrash them on the next climb, allow them to overtake again at the top and shit all over them round a scarey ass bend on the way down

i've got a pink n white lid for mountainbiking and it always puts a grin on my face whupping someone whose made the grilie lid snipe
    north wales biketrials club chairman, email me for info - spunkey_monkey_boy@yahoo.com
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    My riding buddies like to take the pi$$ out of my pink Rapha top, my reply is always that they could try to take a pull on the front and then they wouldn't have to look at it.

I am another firmly of the belief that you have to earn WC stripes, also you need to be in the team to wear team kit. The argument that the fat smoking beer boys walking round town wear pro football kit just reinforces that belief in me...
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • alfablue
    The riders and teams that endorse replica kit obviously have no objections to anyone wearing the kit that wants to pay for it. Anyhow, the wc stripes on that lid are rather stylised, not really in the usual form.
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    How much is too much? Anything by Rock Racing...
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • kr1s
    kr1s Posts: 125
    Bell Sweep R is a good compromise of flash and sobriety at a fair price

Here here :D
    Trek Madone 5.2 08
    Specialized Tricross
    Scott Scale
    Twitter @ChrisBedford1