ODI Ruffian grips

GT Destroyer
GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
edited November 2008 in The Crudcatcher
Right, I did the red route at Dalby yesterday. It was the first time out for the Ruffians.

My hands were as sore as hell for at least half the ride, I have bright red outside edges of both hands, and the skin in between my right thumb and first finger has a big blister on it. I couldn't even grip the bars, so couldn't blast round as I'd have liked to.

Are Ruffians OK for 20 plus mile rides such as Dalby red?

My gloves I think are the problem - They are starting to feel a bit thin, but I just wante to check on the grips to make sure I had the right ones!

I'm in a post whoring mood as well.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it depends on your hands. i prefer the rouges.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I'm yet to find any glove/grip combo that's good for over 2 hours. Maybe I just have soft girly palms :wink:

Slightly off topic, but just out of interest other than the grips what's the Orange Crush like round Dalby? I'm thinking of getting one but reading the review in MBUK I'm worried it'll be a bit sluggish, and as a Yorkshireman not living in Yorkshire but occasionally venturing up there it's important I can get up those horrible switchback climbs!
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • GT Destroyer
    It just makes you work harder thats all - I'm anything but fit and made it up all of the switchbacks without dabbing. I can't complain at all, and then when you point it downhill, OMG!!!

On the grips issue - I had some Lizard skins, they were quite squishy compared to the ruffians. I purchased some 661 storm gloves though so they should make it a bit better next time I'm out.

• hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    The Odi ruffians are my favourite grips. I like how they are quite narrow. I use gloves with a thin palm and have never had sore hands, even after all day rides. You couldn't be resting your hands on the bar ends could you?
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • I'm with Nick here, the Rogues are fatter and comfier for me, but I've got big hands!
  • GT Destroyer
    shoot - I might have to have a look at the Rogues then?

I'll se how I get on with these - I got the gloves I wanted though, they are well comfy, I can't imagine getting sore hands with them bad boys!!

Apparently you can fill them up with warm water, they won't leak, but they will emit steam!!! I won't be trying it though!
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    If you find thin grips uncomfortable (I do), try race face good/evils - lovely fat softies.
  • GT Destroyer
    Well I want to stick with the grips 'cos I like how they look on the bike.

I did purchase some 661 storm gloves, but they are extra warm so I'd only use them when its really cold. So I purchased some more Lizard Skins, these new ones are a bit bigger, so don't cut into my hands perhaps as the old ones did, also they are a bit more padded out so hopefully I won't get the sore hands issue again.
  • GT Destroyer
    hmmmmm, the right side grip came loose at Lee Quarry on Sunday, not what you want when riding there!

Probably down to not being tight enough from the LBS, jury is out on the grips at the moment.
  • tate743
    tate743 Posts: 189
    i love ruffians used to have them on my street dj bike and used northwave sherif gloves. super grippy and not at all uncomfy
  • GT Destroyer
    They actually haven't given me any more problems since I posted this, all seems OK.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I got a second set for the stumpy last week, first set on the Maxlight have been fine, haven't moved at all. Reckon they just weren't tight enough. Got that chain suck on the rear cassette sorted yet?
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • You know what, I think it was just muck. I cleaned her up, oiled and degreased the chain, and all the jockey wheels etc and its been fine since, I went out to near Hudds and it was OK. Reminds me actually, I need to get some proper oil today and I'm using this old crappy stuff, which probably doesn't help!

Did you get your chain issues sorted?

Was Malta any good - you do any diving?

Me and easyG are still interested in doing one of the big loops we spoke about last time.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Got a new chain ring though haven't fitted it yet, should sort the chain suck. In the process of stripping and rebuilding the whole bike, forks are off for a service at the mo, went to pick them up on Friday but they'd messed up the Talas adjust (which is what I did last year :oops: ) so I'm on the hardtail.

Malta was pretty good, warm and sunny for the most part, bit of shock coming home, it was 26 degs when we left, and snowed when we got home :shock: . Didn't do any diving but I think we'll be going back and there are a couple of dive schools within 10 minutes walk from our friends house. Was a bit eventful though as a shop 4 doors down blew up in the middle of the night (gas explosion, apparently it's normally fireworks in Malta).

I spoke to my regular riding buddy this morning and he's up for getting out so I'll PM / email everyone and get a date arranged for the next couple of weeks.

Get some Finish line wet lube, works alright for me and lasts a fair while.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Fenwicks wet lube - It looks OK on the bike, but it is still upside down in the cellar! It'll be fine.

A group of a few of us would be good, looking forward to it.