Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• Your choice, Ugo. I've seen too many people who've only had a single light and the batteries or the light itself have failed mid-ride, and since it's a rear light, you wouldn't know. Reflectives are great if people are using full-beam, but with the HID headlights in a lot of cars, the lenses have too sharp a cut off to reflect much above your ankles, and that's not at a great distance.
  • Your choice, Ugo. I've seen too many people who've only had a single light and the batteries or the light itself have failed mid-ride, and since it's a rear light, you wouldn't know. Reflectives are great if people are using full-beam, but with the HID headlights in a lot of cars, the lenses have too sharp a cut off to reflect much above your ankles, and that's not at a great distance.

I agree, reflectors cannot be trusted, hence a light is necessary.
    I do carry a small cheap rear light in case the battery runs out and I agree the battery might run out without me noticing... but generally I tend to charge/replace the battery before it's due.

My point was that one doesn't need more than one light at any one time
    left the forum March 2023
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I disagree, if there is rain or worse, fog, your 5 lumens rear light will be downright dangerous.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • I disagree, if there is rain or worse, fog, your 5 lumens rear light will be downright dangerous.

If there is fog, being on the road is dangerous, lights or not
  • Moda Prima 2013
    Giant Defy Advanced 1 2014
    Rose Pro DX Cross-3000 'MB' - STOLEN
    Langster SF 2015
  • gabriel959
    I disagree, if there is rain or worse, fog, your 5 lumens rear light will be downright dangerous.

If there is fog, being on the road is dangerous, lights or not

Depends how dense it is, if it is very dense, then yes, I agree with you, but most of the time there is a fair amount of visibility as long as you have a decent rear light.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Two pairs of Levi 511 commuter jeans for $80 don't mind if I do and a thermal base for $12
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Kask Mojito - £47 from amazon.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Set of Ultegra 6700 calipers for the Icarus for £40 from Wiggle.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    I bought a basket
    photo%201.jpg
    It's for my daughter's bike, but I had to get it home somehow.
  • itboffin
    Yeah yeah whatever
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • They are remarkably handy, had one on a rental bike in France and they're great. you can do that kind of thing in France. People don't even laugh.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    They are remarkably handy, had one on a rental bike in France and they're great. you can do that kind of thing in France. People don't even laugh.

My girlfriends Ammaco (eek) had a basket fitted, but we overloaded it with scrumpy, and the basket partly left it's mountings, and nearly put her in the canal...........

Horrible heavy and cheap bso, only bought as a stop gap as at the time (We only had two bikes back then!) ours were in storage - bizarrely we sold it second hand for £15 less than they could be bought new in Oxford - Cycle King I think it was.

The buyer drove down from Oxford to collect it, and I helped him force it (Minus the front wheel which went in the boot) into the back seats of his Audi A4 saloon - most strange.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • A new Vertigo 2.0 in black lime to match my Dale. And some Cavendish jawbreakers
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    Long shot this one, anyone know where I can buy a spare ratchet for a Northwave SRS MTB shoe. Came off on the ice this morning and broke mine.

Rose bikes have them but shipping is almost more than the ratchet.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • Long shot this one, anyone know where I can buy a spare ratchet for a Northwave SRS MTB shoe. Came off on the ice this morning and broke mine.

Email Northwave themselves and they should put you in touch with their UK distributor. Usually much quicker and easier.
  • gabriel959
    Long shot this one, anyone know where I can buy a spare ratchet for a Northwave SRS MTB shoe. Came off on the ice this morning and broke mine.

ICE? :cry:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    Good shout @undercoverelephant. And yes @gabriel.... the black invisible variety. I had already ridden over some frozen puddles without a problem. Must have been 0c this morning up here.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    There's a bit of a North - South divide going on at the moment as far as temps are concerned. We're still basking in unusually warm air down here while the North is getting some arctic weather to go with the flooding.

I might complain that it's hard to know what to wear on the bike for fear of being too hot, but I know which weather I'd rather have...
  • itboffin
    Speak for yourself it 4c here in Windshire
  • gabriel959
    I wouldn't call 5c basking in heat but it is a far cry from 0c and under. I hate when it gets that cold.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • itboffin
    I'm looking at the flashing frost warning light now and wondering how bad tomorrows club ride will be, might take a cheaper bike and kit
  • Argh - delivery of my latest Jamis Renegade didn't start well. The bike box looked battered so I told the DX Delivery driver I was going to take a quick look at the bike before signing for it. He said "Don't bother" and just started putting the bike back in the van. We literally had a tussle over the box with him complaining that he was already late and me telling him there was no ****ing way I was waiting in again for the bike. Anyhow, I won.

Assembled it in stock form (I'm going to Di2 it) and gave it a short spin when I noticed a flaw in the finish on the top tube. Closer inspection suggests that it's more than a flaw but possibly a crack (I can certainly get a thumbnail into it) - it's a £2.5k bike so, whatever, it's going back. Next delivery s going to be to an Evans store. Will get them to check it and we'll do a swap. The good news s that my frame does in fact fit into the boot of my Abarth 595 (Fiat 500 to you).

Frustrated? You bet.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Deda bar tape in gold... not sure if it looks good or crap yet...

What's with modern handlebars anyway? The curves are so awkward one has to retape it endless times to get it right... :?
  • JamisRenegade.JPG
    Excuse the wheel reflectors
    The flaw
    FlawJamis.JPG
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Deda newton and rhm 200 bars for the road bikes from CRC;trying some narrower ones than the what I currently have.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • gabriel959
    JamisRenegade.JPG
    The flaw
    FlawJamis.JPG

Can't see the image but I tell you, it is easier to be poor like I am and not having bought any new bikes so I don't have to worry about cracked top tubes!!! :twisted:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • JamisRenegade.JPG
    The flaw
    FlawJamis.JPG
    Looks to me as though the lacquer hadn't bonded correctly to the carbon. I would guess it's not structural, but I'm not the one who'll be riding it. :) Definitely not just a small flaw, though, and as you rightly say, not good enough on such an expensive bike.

I think we need to mention those rims as well. Erm...
  • Could well be just the lacquer though there's definitely a crack in it. I did wonder about just saying sod it. But then it's not a Tesco BSO and I might always have nagging doubts about the integrity of the frame.

Ha - yes, those American Classics rims are, err, bling. When I finally get a bike that's a keeper, I will investigate removing the decals. At around 1500g, they seem like very good wheels for a bike at this price though. I think the bike represents better value than the GT Grade. In fact the whole bike is exactly the same price as it retails in the US which, in itself, is quite unusual I think. Often we see stuff over here priced in £ at a similar number to what the Americans pay in $. With the issues I have before these, I've had a 15%+ reduction and Evans are already holding their hands up again and talking of more compensation.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    A pair of these:
    image_zpsztk3dk8p.jpeg

To go on this (to pick out the flouro green paint splashes on the frame). A little bit marmite I reckon but when covered in mud it may not show :lol:
    image_zpsjfmqnfmq.jpeg
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...