Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• Searched for a cheap replacement BB30 crank for the winter bike. Faffed about too much, posted the cheap ROTOR chainsets from Merlin in the bargains thread and now they're gone in 172.5 and 170...

So, I might accidentally have bought some Hollowgrams for the good bike, so I can migrate the SL-K over to no. 2, and thus it'll have a cheap, second hand crank on it, just as planned.

Oops.
  • Ultegra 6800 170 chainset(52-36) from Ribble;need to try shorter cranks and this price doesn't seem much more than e-ghey second -hand items.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • So I ended getting a 105; 12-28 cassette to go with the semi compact chainset, new ultegra 10sp chain (105s are now rare), 105 spdl pedals (nice)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    So I ended getting a 105; 12-28 cassette to go with the semi compact chainset, new ultegra 10sp chain (105s are now rare), 105 spdl pedals (nice)

28T you headed off to the alps?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I'm glad of my 28 when I ever do Chalkpit or Barhatch lane. Alps aren't as steep....
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • So I ended getting a 105; 12-28 cassette to go with the semi compact chainset, new ultegra 10sp chain (105s are now rare), 105 spdl pedals (nice)

28T you headed off to the alps?

Semi-compact innit...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • itboffin
    what-e-v-e-r!!!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    would you Adam & Eve it work have asked me to review the features and functionality of the top cycling websites for a presentation.

what me? oh go on then :lol:
  • bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    Wahoo Blue SC and ANT+ USB adapter.

Time to get my Zwift on :).
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Two planetx double wheel bags to tidy up the shed. I probably should just sell the campag fit ones as I don't have a campag equipped bike anymore!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Torc Ground Anchor, Protector 13mm Chain & Squire SS50CS Lock from Pragmasis.

Peace of mind is expensive :?

Oh and 2x Clugs
  • Lazer helium helmet from Merlin and some EBC pads for the spyres on the Planet X.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • Purchased a proper retro wheelset for the fixed gear at the Ripley cycle jumble on Saturday. It's now a lot less hipster, and far more old school, which is just the way I like it.

Front wheel is Campagnolo Record, rear is an old double fixed with wing nut track nuts, on Weinmann Alesa rims (27 x 1 1/4). Rear wheel took quite a lot of work to true, but all good now, and at £20 for the pair, pretty bargainistic. Cycle jumbles rock!

My only slight concern is that the only 27" tyres I had in the bike cave are 20 year old Conti Top Touring ones. Wonderful tyres, but no puncture protection, as no tyres had it back then. I can't remember punctures being that much more of a problem 'back in the day' as they are now (I never once got a puncture too or from school for instance), but I guess time will tell as to whether I need to fork out for some more modern ones.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    My only slight concern is that the only 27" tyres I had in the bike cave are 20 year old Conti Top Touring ones. Wonderful tyres, but no puncture protection, as no tyres had it back then. I can't remember punctures being that much more of a problem 'back in the day' as they are now (I never once got a puncture too or from school for instance), but I guess time will tell as to whether I need to fork out for some more modern ones.

I rode my Raleigh Record Ace for ages on the unprotected ancient Michelin World Tours it came with. Nice-ish days only which helps but no punctures. Of course, given that the rubber was as hard as concrete (any attempt to brake the rear resulted in instant lock!) probably anything pointy didn't stand much chance.

But this probably isn't helping! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Picked up one of these for €51 on my travels last week. Don't normally buy shop branded kit unless stupidly cheap but liked this and very rare in the UK.

AUYeV5zVINZ5xZ205BEmyLWpdn7lo6RKg0va15kE5mo?size=1280x960&size_mode=2
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    edited September 2015
    I might have gone a bit over the top at the Kingston Wheelers end of line club kit sale at CJCP's house at the weekend. Not one to miss a bargain, I purchased:

2x Long Sleeved Jerseys
    1x Bib Shorts
    2x Bib tights
    1x Gilet

Looks like I'll now be wearing KW kit for the commute. SCR is not going to get any easier. Might as well have a huge target on my back!
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    New Campag xenon 9 speed rear mech to replace the old one on the commuter which has now broken.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    42cm for circa £110 instead of £250 rrp.
    Always liked the look of these bars, but despise the ones with red slathered all over the front.

3T15-ErgoNova-Team-Blk-Bar-2.jpg?1439293406
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Yesterday evening & this morning were perfect for testing my new jacket - Race Face Chute. My criteria for investing £150 are it has to BREATHE, and be waterproof obviously. I also have a 2hr+ train journey either end of the day, so I didn't want anything 'snug' that soaks up the sweat as with my last jacket - you could smell it a mile off...

Race Face Chute - Brilliant - Charing Cross Hospital to Waterloo last night & back again this morning - dry as a bone, & virtually no boil in the bag, even with my normal flat out sprint. Plenty of pockets, all sealed nicely. Big vents down the armpit to let in air, not rain.

Can't fault it - thoroughly recommend.

Also - have a meeting across town later, so will be wearing it over my work clothes - has a nice hood as well. So, form & function.

Acid test - Rizzla's loose in the outside pocket - still drier than a dead dingo's...
    Waterloo - White City

Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 2016
    Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" (Lefty) :D
  • Schwalbe Durano 25's x2. Switching from being loyal to contis so will see how it goes.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Verenti Isolation Single Speed CX from Wiggle:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-isolation-cx12-singlespeed-2015/

Got taken out on my shiny and fairly new Genesis Day One Disc 2015 a couple of weeks back while low speed filtering, someone got waved across and didn't bother to look for a cyclist- I was fine, the bike had a completely knackered frame, big kink in the downtube where it had absorbed the impact, and a warped front wheel. Bizarrely enough I was able to finish the ride to work with the wonky wheel, but I could tell it was not a good idea to ride it again, and happily the driver agreed to settle.

I'd have bought a straight replacement but the 2015 model stock has disappeared, and the 2016 models aren't out until October sometime - and they've split the line into a cheaper road geared model with worse brakes, and a more expensive off road geared model with the same good brakes - neither being the combination of road gearing and good brakes that I want.

Anyhow, Wiggle have their Isolation CX on sale, it allegedly has a Reynolds 725 triangle, which is better than the day one disc and is significantly cheaper. If it's even nearly as good as the day one disc, it's the perfect bad weather commuter for the money. Probably ought be selling like hot cakes.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Verenti Isolation Single Speed CX from Wiggle:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-isolation-cx12-singlespeed-2015/

Got taken out on my shiny and fairly new Genesis Day One Disc 2015 a couple of weeks back while low speed filtering, someone got waved across and didn't bother to look for a cyclist- I was fine, the bike had a completely knackered frame, big kink in the downtube where it had absorbed the impact, and a warped front wheel. Bizarrely enough I was able to finish the ride to work with the wonky wheel, but I could tell it was not a good idea to ride it again, and happily the driver agreed to settle.

I'd have bought a straight replacement but the 2015 model stock has disappeared, and the 2016 models aren't out until October sometime - and they've split the line into a cheaper road geared model with worse brakes, and a more expensive off road geared model with the same good brakes - neither being the combination of road gearing and good brakes that I want.

Anyhow, Wiggle have their Isolation CX on sale, it allegedly has a Reynolds 725 triangle, which is better than the day one disc and is significantly cheaper. If it's even nearly as good as the day one disc, it's the perfect bad weather commuter for the money. Probably ought be selling like hot cakes.

Nice looking bike - especially at the price. Hope you get more miles out it than the Day One. Did you notice that Wiggles picture was taken with the bike upside down (look at the chain) - I guess it makes it easier to edit to make the 360 photo?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Nice looking bike - especially at the price. Hope you get more miles out it than the Day One. Did you notice that Wiggles picture was taken with the bike upside down (look at the chain) - I guess it makes it easier to edit to make the 360 photo?

I had noticed that! Perhaps they just sit it upside down on the bars and saddle on a white floor to save having to crop out a stand/something else holding it up?
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716

I had noticed that! Perhaps they just sit it upside down on the bars and saddle on a white floor to save having to crop out a stand/something else holding it up?

Now that explanation makes sense.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,828
    edited September 2015
    Castelli leggenda winter gloves
    Castelli narcisista overshoes
    Castelli nanoflex arm warmers
    New headset
    Giro synthe
    Dura ace 9000 rear mech

Can tell it's my birthday week. Got to get the kit to go with the jawbreakers my Mrs got for me.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • I meant to add the following last week to go with my recent 500SE Purchase.
    Lidl.
    4 x SS tops
    2 x LS tops
    1 x 3/4 shorts
    2 x Shorts

Wiggle:
    Raceblade XL
    Spare 8 spd Chainlink
    Koolstop Salmon Dura Ace Inserts
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Bought myself a bandana type thing to go under my helmet when the winter arrives for the extortionate price of £2.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    Hoping it comes with two arm warmers and not the one pictured.....
    etxeonodo_fluor%202014-750x400.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Hoping it comes with two arm warmers and not the one pictured.....
    etxeonodo_fluor%202014-750x400.jpg
    Dunno, they seem pretty specific. They've pointed out that it comes with a front and a back to the jersey rather.
    I expect just one side of one armwarmer.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo