Washing cycle clothes.

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2008 in Workshop
Hi.

I want to wash my cycle clothes today in the washer, what setting should I put the washer on and also what is it ok to put it in same wash as my boxers, socks, jeans etc..?

All I see on back is 30 for the cycling shorts and 35-40 for the other one then a box with a circle in middle and cross through it?

Thanks
Will.

Comments

• APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    30 deg wash, slow spin, no fabric conditioner, don't tumble dry....or so I'm told :D
  • i wash my kit on a deliciate cycle at 40 degrees without fabric conditioner (wrecks lycra apparently) using persil liquid. i don't wash my kit with other clothes becase i use fabric conditioner on thoe washes.
    pm
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've always put the stuff in with my other stuff and it's always been fine - I avoid tumble drying though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    The washer has minimum of 35 degree economy wash on, is that good enough?
  • oxon
    oxon Posts: 35
    I leave on the bathroom/bedroom floor and it magically appears back in my drawer, neatly folded and smelling nice. Get yourself a nice women!!!
    :wink:
    Seriously though all of mine and wifes cycle/running gear goes in a 30c sports wash no fabric and air dries.
  • Anonymous
    oxon wrote:
    I leave on the bathroom/bedroom floor and it magically appears back in my drawer, neatly folded and smelling nice. Get yourself a nice women!!!
    Seriously though all of mine and wifes cycle/running gear goes in a 30c sports wash no fabric and air dries.

35 is minimum though on this washer.
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    image001xw5.jpg

HTH
  • Anonymous
    Parsnip49 wrote:
    image001xw5.jpg

HTH

I'm 19.....
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    35 is fine, mine only goes as low as 40 and hasn't caused any issues. As others have said don't tumble dry and don't do it on a crazy fast spin cycle.
  • Don't use fabric conditioner.

I don't use fabric conditioner at all. Hate the stuff, Basically Oil and perfume. Its like making cloths dirty after washing.

Biggist con out there.
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Most machines have a 'quick and cool' cycle, thats fine for bike kit and most other clothes unless they have stains. Also uses a lot less electricity.

Its worth checking out the labels on the powders. I find that the Ariel tabs that are designed for 30degree wash are great for low temperature washes, even for whites.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    willhub wrote:
    Parsnip49 wrote:
    image001xw5.jpg

HTH

I'm 19.....

Take it home to mother!

Or do what I did yestarday and wash it in the shower. It's all water and soap anyway!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Never knew that about lycra and fabic conditioner. I aways tip some into the little drawer thingy.

Are my cycling togs about to decompose spontaneously? What if it happens during a ride? There I am, coming down off the Lomond Hills at breakneck speed and suddenly I'm naked, just a few shreds of fabric flapping like Autumn leaves.

I am NEVER going to do my own washing again. too risky. I'd be sure to face arrest!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Fabric conditioner also stops water absorption thats why you shouldn't use it on towels.

Ever tried to dry dishes or yourself with a towel washed using fabric conditioner. Doesn't work very well. Makes a cotton towels feel like its made of nylon.

This also maybe true for cycling gear, maybe fabric conditioner stops the fabric drawing moisture off the skin and expelling it.

Not sure if it destroys cycling gear though.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Jez mon wrote:
    willhub wrote:
    Parsnip49 wrote:
    image001xw5.jpg

HTH

I'm 19.....

Take it home to mother!

Or do what I did yestarday and wash it in the shower. It's all water and soap anyway!

I think there is an alternative 'comedy laundry label' which has the line "Give it to your Mum" instead! :wink:
    Whilst I'm about it, I'll second the comments that force-drying (tumble dryer, radiator, etc.) is a bad idea for cycle gear. Besides, the stuff it's made from seems to drip-dry/air-dry much quicker than most garments anyhow; e.g. washed my Rudy Project thermal jacket (polyester and fleecy stuff) late the other evening - it was bone-dry and ready to wear for the ride to work by 8am the next morning.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Fabric softener works by adding a lubricating layer of oils on the fibre. With microfibre products (including lycra and a number of other materials used in bike clothes), adding these extra oils clogs up the material and interferes with wicking. I think much the same applies to wool.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Actually on a serious not here. Away from home for the first time, went for first ride yestarday got back home and washed all my kit in the shower, seems easiest thing to do tbh (obviously a washing machine would be just as easy if it wasn't miles away)
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • mozwyn69
    mozwyn69 Posts: 170
    Jeez your a fussy lot..take it in the shower with you and sprinkle some washing powder on top. tread on it, give it a rinse then hang out to dry.
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself
    before you can find anything.
  • Washing kit? If you leave it unwashed long enough, it becomes sentient, learns your favourite routes, and can boost your speed by 10%.

Smells 'kin awful though.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    oxon wrote:
    Funny that, I leave mine on the floor and mine also appear back in my drawer, smelling awful!! Not washed, wanna swap women?
    8)
    I just take mine off straight after ride and put in washer, alone, min heat, economy as they are not really dirty.
    I dont sit around in sweaty shorts after ride, got jockey itch once becuase of that :oops:
  • oxon
    oxon Posts: 35
    willhub wrote:
    Parsnip49 wrote:
    image001xw5.jpg

HTH

I'm 19.....

legal age for marriage in the UK is 16, no excuse get your girl/boy friend to do it.
    :lol:
  • Hudster
    Hudster Posts: 142
    My washing machine has a sports program which is basically a gentle wash. It defaults to 30degrees and some of the labels say gentle wash at 30degrees but I find it doesn't wash the clothes so well. I usually up it to 40, otherwise I other find that some of the items start to smell a bit once worn and warmed up. I think bacteria loves 30degrees heat.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Also, use non-bio powder (don't know why, but shouldn't use bio for some reason).
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos