Wrong Brake blocks??

syncro
syncro Posts: 120
edited October 2008 in Workshop
I bought some brake blocks yesterday from my local bike shop yesterday. As advised by the shop, i've had some 'Swiss Stop Yellow King' blocks. After fitting them i've just noticed on the package that the Yellow King pads are intended for carbon rims. As i've got aluminium rims is this a problem?

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    They won't work very well. Not sure why on earth the shop would recommend Swiss Stop Yellows for anyone without carbon rims
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • syncro
    Just looked on a couple of retail websites that have these listed and in the description they say 'no compatability problems with aluminium rims'. So should be ok??
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    They wont be the most efficient though but they won't do any damage to the rims
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... top+yellow

They are fine for Alloy rims, but I don't recommend them, as there are better alloy only pads out there.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Al_38
    Al_38 Posts: 277
    As above, they will work with alloys rims. Remember reading in some bike mag that they wear pretty quickly on an alloy surface too... considering it would be less than half the price to get DA / Record cartridges I wouldn't bother with them on an alloy rim
  • syncro
    Basically i needed some new pads, told them i had aluminium rims and these are what the shop recommended. Not sure what to do now. Especially if can get something better for less money :(
  • Al_38
    Al_38 Posts: 277
    Depends which brake callipers you have. If shimano then they do a few cartridge pads, a cheaper version and Dura Ace. Think The DA ones are slightly softer so give better braking performance. I haven't used the Campag pads but they would almost certainly be up to the task too. Was recommended by my LBS that ashima pads aren't any better than shimano, couldn't really tell you about other manufacturers though.
    As for price DA should be ~ £7 a pair in your LBS or a bit cheaper on wiggle / crc or similar. Much better that the £40 it cost me for swissstops yellow kings (front + rear).

Al
  • syncro
    Jez mon wrote:
    They wont be the most efficient though but they won't do any damage to the rims

Just gave them a quick road test. I'd like to know what you would call efficient! :D
    Vast improvement on what was on so i'll just use them and look around when i need my next set.

Thanks for the advice tho everyone
    Cheers.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Just on the ashima pads, I've got a set in all my v-brakes and in some caliper brakes. They are really nice, sensible amounts of grab, with plenty of squeeze for modulation.