Does 85g make ANY difference?

Slow Downcp
Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
edited October 2008 in Workshop
Sorting spec out for new bike - was going to go for Kysrium Equipes at £193, and 1,770 gram the pair, but just seen I can get Aksiums for £94. Is there any other difference, apart from the 85g, that makes the Equipes worth £100 extra?
Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos

Comments

• Ramanujan
    Ramanujan Posts: 352
    85g on a pair of wheels won't make a difference unless you are a pro going for the GC in a grand tour mountain TT
  • better bearings, better seals. longer lasting and harder wearing.
    Its one of those "ya pays ya money" things.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    SCOTT325SE wrote:
    better bearings, better seals. longer lasting and harder wearing.
    Its one of those "ya pays ya money" things.

Do Equipes have better bearings and seals? If so, then I don't mind paying the extra as it's going to be primarily a winter bike.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • gundersen
    gundersen Posts: 586
    better bearings, better seals. longer lasting and harder wearing

and the proof of this being???
  • Ramanujan
    Ramanujan Posts: 352
    edited October 2008
    there is no proof on an internet forum.
    only opinion.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Where's Dennisn? He normally knows the answers to these questions.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Phekdra
    Phekdra Posts: 137
    Sorting spec out for new bike - was going to go for Kysrium Equipes at £193, and 1,770 gram the pair, but just seen I can get Aksiums for £94. Is there any other difference, apart from the 85g, that makes the Equipes worth £100 extra?

Can't vouch for the Equipes but I'm going to get on my soapbox again about the Aksiums. Not very nice wheels. Flex like crazy out of the saddle - I was getting brake rub even with the rear calipers set very wide from the rims - and in need of constant tinkering with a non-standard spoke wrench in order to remain true. They also let water into the rims so that after a wet ride they sounded like a pair of waterfalls! I've now got a hand-built pair and I'm not joking when I say it's like riding a different bike.

Phekdra
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Phekdra wrote:

Can't vouch for the Equipes but I'm going to get on my soapbox again about the Aksiums. Not very nice wheels. Flex like crazy out of the saddle - I was getting brake rub even with the rear calipers set very wide from the rims - and in need of constant tinkering with a non-standard spoke wrench in order to remain true. They also let water into the rims so that after a wet ride they sounded like a pair of waterfalls! I've now got a hand-built pair and I'm not joking when I say it's like riding a different bike.

Phekdra
    Not my experience with Aksiums.
  • gundersen wrote:
    better bearings, better seals. longer lasting and harder wearing

well I've ridden both sets (and the Ksyrium SL's that I own thanks) and the Elites are a noticably smoother and faster rolling wheelset.[thats the opinion part]

Check the Mavic website. The Aksiums have QRM bearings (see other mavic tech info) and the Elites have QRM+ Bearings. [thats the fact part]

Hope that helps. :wink:

Scott