Colnago Extreme C or Bianchi HoC 928?

clazza
clazza Posts: 626
edited October 2008 in Workshop
I'm after a new frame!

Any thoughts on whether it should be the Colnago (Heritage, colours, Made in Italy) or the Bianchi (Better performance? Ugly? Made in Taiwan)

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I think the UGLY sums it up...
  • damage36
    damage36 Posts: 282
    If you want a great bike from a classic italian brand. Then it really ought to be built IN italy. I don't think the bianchi is an ugly bike though, and it's certainly got great reviews.
    Legs, lungs and lycra.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Bianchi - better performance? Given that the Extreme C was voted Bike of the Year by Cycling Weekly, I don't recount a similar accolade being given to the Bianchi. In terms of other Italian frames worth considering, how about a Viner - ProCycling reviewer reckoned it was the 'best ever', or a DeRosa, Ciocc, Bertoletti or Casati - I'd add Pinarello, but they're not made in Italy either these days either.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Extreme C 100%
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The Bianchi and Colnago are in two different leagues - I'd go for the Colnago - just make sure you get one with a decent paintscheme.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Bianchi - better performance? Given that the Extreme C was voted Bike of the Year by Cycling Weekly, I don't recount a similar accolade being given to the Bianchi. In terms of other Italian frames worth considering, how about a Viner - ProCycling reviewer reckoned it was the 'best ever', or a DeRosa, Ciocc, Bertoletti or Casati - I'd add Pinarello, but they're not made in Italy either these days either.

I'll let you know if the Maxima's any good when mine arrives :)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The 'nago for sure!!
  • The Bianchi and Colnago are in two different leagues - I'd go for the Colnago - just make sure you get one with a decent paintscheme.
    What a ridiculous statement to make, have you ridden either? Or are you actually working off the subjective opinions and biases from other forums. Be careful you don't let your internet-gained wisdom fool people into thinking you know what you're talking about.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    virtuoso wrote:
    The Bianchi and Colnago are in two different leagues - I'd go for the Colnago - just make sure you get one with a decent paintscheme.
    What a ridiculous statement to make, have you ridden either? Or are you actually working off the subjective opinions and biases from other forums. Be careful you don't let your internet-gained wisdom fool people into thinking you know what you're talking about.

I know, but who wants a girly coloured bianchi, when you can a Colnago with a good looking paint scheme.

Everything is personal opinion afterall - if it's one v the other, I know what I'd choose.

It was only a short post, it wasn't exactly an essay that I posted - I only posted my opinion - I never never regurgitated anything from any other site.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    virtuoso wrote:
    I think this is a bit harsh, I didn't think we were abusive on here like other forums, it is what makes this such a good place. We are able to accept different opinions without exchanging insults. Lets keep it that way :wink:
  • clazza
    clazza Posts: 626
    Bianchi - better performance? Given that the Extreme C was voted Bike of the Year by Cycling Weekly, I don't recount a similar accolade being given to the Bianchi

Thought it was the Extreme Power that won the CW Test? C+ rated the Bianchi highly
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Isn't the Extreme C made in Taiwan but assembled in Italy. I havea feeling it's only the lugged carbon bikes that are now made in Italy eg C50, EP-S. The Colnago fansite will pro tell you. I think its Colago Societa
    M.Rushton
  • virtuoso wrote:

I know, but who wants a girly coloured bianchi, when you can a Colnago with a good looking paint scheme.

Everything is personal opinion afterall - if it's one v the other, I know what I'd choose.

It was only a short post, it wasn't exactly an essay that I posted - I only posted my opinion - I never never regurgitated anything from any other site.

What's wrong with celeste? It's certainly a strong brand statement. If you saw a bike with no graphics but in that colour you would know it was a Bianchi. Anyway It was good enough for Coppi. :)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,313
    mrushton wrote:
    Isn't the Extreme C made in Taiwan but assembled in Italy. I havea feeling it's only the lugged carbon bikes that are now made in Italy eg C50, EP-S. The Colnago fansite will pro tell you. I think its Colago Societa
    Nope, both the Extreme C and Extreme Power are made in Italy as they are, in effect, variations of the C50.

The CLX and the new CX1 are made in Taiwan.
  • Cycling weekly bike of the year. Hmm I don't think they actually rode the Bianchi in comparision though did they? In fact they tend to choose a right strange mixture of brands in their reviews. Strangely (or not) they are almost always brands that advertise in the magazine...

Personally I'd go for whichever one rode and fitted the best. Being made in Italy doesn't add anything in riding terms.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Cycling Weekly may have short-listed the bikes, but it tend what distributors / manufacturers chose to send them. I'd also suggest that the OP searches for similar Bianchi threads and well-known problems a certain Magnus Backstedt had with his team bikes. If I was spending £2k plus on a bike the Colnago or some of the others would feature strongly on that list - the Bianchi almost certainly not.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..