Alu vs CF / Shimano vs Campag / £1k on Cyclescheme

duckson
duckson Posts: 961
edited October 2008 in Workshop
Guy and girls,

Quite a bit of text and a few questions that have probably been asked a million (and one) times but anyway here goes <flame suit on>

What benefits/pros and cons do Aluminium frames and Carbon Fibre frames have over one another? (strangely the Ribble Nero Corsa CF frame weighs more than their lightest Alu frame, EM2!).

Is there any reason to take Campagnolo groupsets over Shimano or vice versa?
A couple of Ribble bikes i've been looking at would come with either Campag Centaur or Shimano Ultegra....which is deemed the "best" or is it purely down to personal opinion?

I've heard that the company i work for is at an advanced stage in sorting out the Cyclescheme for its employees so i'm now weighing up my options for purchasing a road bike to mainly get to work on (28 mile round trip) as having young kids makes it difficult to get out at alot of other times!
As i live in Preston Ribble Cycles are looking attractive and the "Special edition" bikes sound great (better value than speccing one up yourself).
Looking at the Ribble Dedacciai Nero Corsa (Carbon frame) along with either Shimano Ultegra or Campag Centaur, both retail at £999....are these decent bikes/frames to build on?
Any other brand i should consider around this price point, i was also thinking Bianchi or Specialized if i can find a localish dealer?

Thank for any help, i really do waffle on... :oops:
Cheers, Stu

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'd go for Campag over Shimano - It feels nicer, works better, but it's generally opinion.

Carbon Centaur is a higher level groupset than Ultegra - it's nearly as good as Chorus (which is better than Dura Ace), but has shifters with the escape mechanism (still better than Shimano's offerings but not as good as Chorus and above - Centaur 09 has the better mechanism though - So Centaur 09 is better than Dura Ace 7800)

The Nero Corsa is a fine frame - just make sure you get the right size - the geometry is a bit weird.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    For the Centaur in the bikebuilder it says:-

Campagnolo Centaur 10spd Ultra-Torque Double Groupset - Now available with 2009 Ultra Shift ergopowers.
    Campagnolo 08 10 Spd Centaur Cassette
    Campagnolo Centaur UT 10 Spd Chainset
    Campagnolo Centaur Carbon 10 Spd Rear Gear

The Ultegra is described as an Ultegra 6600.
    Cheers, Stu
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    If you get the 2009 Centaur shifters there's absolutely no reason to even to consider Ultegra - I'd definitely go for Centaur.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr