headset adjustment problems

JT-MTB
JT-MTB Posts: 21
edited September 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Just changed over forks from tora 318 to new reba sl's. The steerer length is exactly the same and the star-nut has been installed with a proper star-nut setter. However despite several attempts I cannot get the bugger adjusted properly like it was before, taking all the play out of the bearings results in stiffer turning. Any thoughts as to what I might be doing wrong? If I cannot get it 100% is it better for them to be slightly loose or slightly overtight?

Cheers in advance for your help

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    did you swap the crown race over from the old fork to the new fork?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • yep everything is as it was on the old forks
  • nicklouse
    then something is not fitted correctly.

or go out with tools and adjust as it settles.

But something will be wrong.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Ok will take another look at it
  • nicklouse
    the parts

headtype30.jpg

fitting a crown race.
    fork20.jpg

more infos

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65
  • Just a thought but could it be something as simple as a seal round the wrong way, its a FSA orbit mx with seals on both top and bottom bearings, does the lip of the seal go against or away from the bearing?
  • nicklouse
    the seals should not really effect the feel.

BUT going back to the first post when you say lose you are not actually getting any play it just does not feel right?

parts some thing like these

im0004236ha.th.jpg

if yes then set it so there is no play and then use but be prepared to adjust.

Nothing serious i would say.
  • JT-MTB wrote:
    Just a thought but could it be something as simple as a seal round the wrong way, its a FSA orbit mx with seals on both top and bottom bearings, does the lip of the seal go against or away from the bearing?

If it's a OEM or old skool "loose ball" headset, then it may have plastic dust seals that need to be positioned correctly. So you may have a point there my friend.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
  • Ok will just try riding as is and adjusting as it settles in.

If that still doesn't work I'll post pics of headset to make sure nothing has fell out and rolled under the fridge during re-assembly.

Thanks again for your help