Buying a trek fuel ex 8

allyst170
allyst170 Posts: 3
edited May 2009 in MTB buying advice
I've just sold my gt hard tail because it was too uncomfortable off road. So looking to bu a full suspension bike. I like the look of the trek fuel ex 8 09 model. My local bike shop has one ins stock for £1699 in my size. This is the first time I've bought a bike in years, last one was through cycle to work scheme. do you think there is any scope for haggling money off or free accessories. Also what do you all think of the fuel ex 8.

Cheers

Ally

Comments

• Picked up my Ex 8 2009 model 5 days ago. Apart from the chain breaking 500 metres into the first ride its the business. I havent thrown it about to rough just yet but so far its soaked up everything i hit with ease and is making me love riding all over again.

I changed the peddles to XT, got a £90 pair of shoes and a havoc camelback thrown in with the sale. Im sure you will be able to get some goodies thrown in with a new bike. Its almost standard these days.
  • the bike is great, just make sure you stay away from ´08 modells, they had a defetc on the let seatstay just next to the brake caliper. the frames broke there like popcorn
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    cesalec wrote:
    the bike is great, just make sure you stay away from ´08 modells, they had a defetc on the let seatstay just next to the brake caliper. the frames broke there like popcorn

:? :? Not had any problems with mine (2008 ex 8 ) - Still if I do I guess I get an nice new shiny 09 frame !
  • I have the 08 fuel ex9 and I have no problems with it at all. It certainly has'nt "snapped like popcorn." However there were a few pre production issues with the early models ie missing bushes on the swing arm links.
  • zog
    zog Posts: 46
    And the problem was rectified by Trek, of the ones sold ive not seen any problems, a good buy, the 2009 bike is better/nicer looking and comes in a choice of colours.
  • Just bought myself a 2008 version. Its a dream... and retailing currently at 400 quid off the 2009 price.

I know its got some lesser components than the 09, but I've just ditched a hardtail for the first time so I'm not going to know the difference, its such a step up.

IMO if 400 quid means anything to you then go for the 2008
  • I had a fuel ex 7 2008 and a fisure appears next to the rear brake caliper.

I am in the way to replace the frame under warranty.

:x