Contador: Which Team?

2»

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Valverde said in an interview after the disappointing Worlds that he would be glad to have Contador in the team and Contador could go for the Tour and Giro and he could go for the Vuelta and Classics ...
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Valverde said in an interview after the disappointing Worlds that he would be glad to have Contador in the team and Contador could go for the Tour and Giro and he could go for the Vuelta and Classics ...

I hope so
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • no way valverde is winning the Tour ever unless loads of dudes are busted and he gets handed it. he's just not consistently strong enough in the mountains and is a mediocre time-triallist.

would be nice to see him dig in for contador
  • redbicycle wrote:
    I think Christian VDV is great but he's not going to win a grand tour IMO - no disrepsect intended!

By Friday he may have won the 2008 Tour...
  • Some developments, here. Namely, the gloves are coming off and Armstrong musn't upset the team demographics. :roll: (Spanish)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 647467.stm

http://www.as.com/ciclismo/articulo/bru ... scic_2/Tes
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Some developments, here. Namely, the gloves are coming off and Armstrong musn't upset the team demographics. :roll: (Spanish)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 647467.stm

http://www.as.com/ciclismo/articulo/bru ... scic_2/Tes

Bloody hell; that's a strong stance from Bruyneel isn't it? He's basically telling Contador that if Lance proves he can win the Tour then Contador will be working for him whether he likes it or not. That's how I interpreted it anyway.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Is it me or is there a veiled threat there? We know what Bruyneel is capable of when someone threatens to leave his team cf the Floyd Landis incident. Is this his way of saying 'you leave and you'll find you've got some dodgy blood values there, mate'?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Patrick1.0 wrote:
    Bloody hell; that's a strong stance from Bruyneel isn't it? He's basically telling Contador that if Lance proves he can win the Tour then Contador will be working for him whether he likes it or not. That's how I interpreted it anyway.
    Yes, although to be precise, I saw it as 'that if Lance proves he can win the Tour better than Contador..'. Contador has already proven he can win next year's TdF; so it would be up to Lance to prove he can win next year's Tour, and has a better chance of winning it than Contador. I can hardly see that becoming clear before the first TT and Pyrenees stage of the Tour itself.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    unless csc get a pure out and out stage racer (like sastre was) thier ability to compeat with astana will be reduced (although we must see the progession of the schleck brothers, espically Andy). Although, of course, contador riding for csc would be a very strong team.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Bruyneel has put his foot down, Contador is screwed:
    "He will remain with this team for the next two years. Actually, it’s pretty simple - there’s a contract and there are no options to leave," the Belgian said.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... oct02news2
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    donrhummy wrote:
    Bruyneel has put his foot down, Contador is screwed:
    "He will remain with this team for the next two years. Actually, it’s pretty simple - there’s a contract and there are no options to leave," the Belgian said.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... oct02news2

Things looking potentially grim for Contador there then if LA does show good form.

Shame really, as personally I think Contador would truly be wasted sat behind someone else in the pecking order and it would be great for the Tour to see them going head to head in different teams!
  • joeyhalloran
    It really would be an interesting tour if they were equally supported on different teams, i dare say it would pretty much split the cycling world it to two halves.
  • Is it possible that several teams would 'gang up' on Astana (assuming ASO invite them) to prevent another robotic win? Contador as a domestique. Who would've thunk it? Lance and Johann probably.
  • I can't see Contador serving under Armstrong in any scenario short of him having a massive loss of form.

More to the point though, I don't see it as an issue - Lance will not be capable of showing a standard that could realistically suggest he should lead the team. IMO of course :lol:
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Inovache wrote:
    I can't see Contador serving under Armstrong in any scenario short of him having a massive loss of form.

More to the point though, I don't see it as an issue - Lance will not be capable of showing a standard that could realistically suggest he should lead the team. IMO of course :lol:

IMHO, Lance would not have come back if he thought he would not be capable of leading the team. There are many other ways in which he could raise cancer awareness without putting himself through the rigmarole of being a pro rider
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • joeyhalloran
    I can see armstrong getting in to form, he hasnt let himself go much and if the past has anything to say arstrong isn't the one to shy away from big challenges. However i can't see either of them working for the other. I guess they'll do another 1-2 leader system like astana in the the vuelta this year. I just feel sorry for leiphimer as he is the one that will most likely get demoted to domestique. However, if you bring vino (riding the tour in 2010?) in to the mix who knows whats going to happen (although lance might have re-retired by then).