to upgrade or replace?

nharvey
nharvey Posts: 19
edited September 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Could I seek your advice please?

I am starting to get back into mountain biking after a bit of a lay off (become a roadie i’m afraid). I have a 2001 Marin East Peak (the single pivot one before Quad). Its a bit old and the front forks in particular are not great.

So, my question is, do I upgrade it or replace it?

I would at least want new forks, disc brakes and probably a new rear shock, plus i guess bits of the drivechain could do with replacing. So i could spend money on this (maybe £800+?).

Or i could sell it as is, and replace it completely.

I am thinking it would probably be more cost effective to replace it. I will be mostly doing XC, marathon type stuff so a decent hardtail or short travel full susser would be what i was after – maybe a scalpel.

I will be able to get another cycle2work scheme soon but if buying a complete bike i would be spending well over £1k so probably couldn’t use it. I may be able to buy forks etc on it though.

Apart from the components side of things, how much has frame performance gone up since the ’01 Marins? I.e. would a Scalpel be miles better anyway just because of the newer frame design?

Thanks

Nick
Suzie - Cannondale Six13 Team Ultegra
Cordelia - Condor Pista Fixed
Martha - Marin East Peak

Comments

• Any new frames are going to be light years above yours. Not being nasty, just honest. If you are going to get a new bike and spend 'over 1k', then why not buy parts on Ride 2 Work and buy a frame yourself? You could get good kit for 1k and hunt for a sexy frame to hang it all on. I'd go for a Turner if your looking to keep it for a few years. You might also be able to get hold of 08 S-Works stuff around too..... :wink:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The 'upgrade or replace' question is a tricky one. Having been down the 'upgrade' route several times myself, it's easy to keep bolting stuff onto a lovable old dog whilst at the same time loose sight of the progress that's being made with new bikes. It's easy to end up with a bike that has cost ££££££s but is realistically worth very little.

With hindsight I wouldn't hesitate to get a new bike.
  • Thanks - Indeed, I think replacement is the way to go.

Any idea on what the sum of the parts of a £1500 bike would cost separately? I mean very roughly. A few seem to have fox forks that are 400-500 on their own, so i assume to buy separately would be significantly more, even with shopping around for deals.

Plus I will have the money from selling my East Peak to add to the pot. No idea how much that would be though.
    Suzie - Cannondale Six13 Team Ultegra
    Cordelia - Condor Pista Fixed
    Martha - Marin East Peak
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I wouldn't say light years lol - the East Peak was a good, solid, fairly light frame with great bearings. However to upgrade all the bits you want will cost as much as a new bike would.