Very useable affordable lights... I've found the answer

JimmerG
JimmerG Posts: 143
edited September 2008 in MTB buying advice
You need look no further than Cree Q4s or Q5s you can get them from China on ebay - they tend to be around £20 - £30 including P&P. They use normal rechargeable AA batteries, or rechargeable Lithiums that can also be bought for very resonable money. They are similar to the Fenix lights that get a lot of mention. I got a Cree q4 180 lumens torch which has quite a defined beam for helmet mounting, and a zoomable Cree q5 220 lumens with remote battery pack for a more floody effect for bar mounting - the whole lot cost £55. 'Lamps 4 us' seems a good place to look. I recently went out with a mate who had no lights so we used a light each - and we ragged around the Bristol Bike fest route, and reckoned we maintained 'day light speed' for most of it. Batteries lasted well over 2 hours on full power, and another 3 hours at least on 'get you home power' They take about 1-2 hours to charge.

They may not be enough for flying down steep rocky blackruns at full speed, but for all those of us on a budget, and venturing into night riding - you simply can't beat these lights, they're nicely built out of aluminium, they're small and light enough to not to weigh heavy on your crash helmet. But I would highly reccommend a 'zoomable' light as it gives vital flood as most of these lights are very defined.

And you really can't beat night riding for a blast, you feel like you're cheating nature, and your local trails take on a whole new feeling as you tear around following a bright pool of light - you really must try it.... for £55 you can't go wrong!!

Comments

• mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    DX (dealextreme.com) also have lots of cheap, bright lights- usually for a lot less than fleabay and free delivery.
  • Agree - just got http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14909 and it's really bright 8) Arrived in less than a week, about £15, bargain!
  • JimmerG
    JimmerG Posts: 143
    Ebay or Deal extreme.....?

Who knows?

But why haven't these punchy little lights hit the bike shops yet, why do they continue to charge £150 - £200 for lights that use the same technology? Profit margins I suspect...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I agree they do seem very expensive. However they are usually more robust, didperse heat better, have regulated power supplies, better batteries and achieve the stated lumen output. Whether that is worth all that money though...

Some of the Cree torches on ebay only have a stable output half of what is quoted.
  • Ive just bought a Hope vision 4 light set up brand new from my lbs for £230 which I think is a bargain :)