10 speed compact: Asking too much?

wilwil
wilwil Posts: 374
edited September 2008 in Workshop
I've owned a Wilier Izoard Centaur since May and am not very pleased with the gears, especially at the front. I have suffer constantly from chain suck on the large ring, and other chain engagement problems when changing from large to small. The rear gears are very noisy on the middle sprockets.

Everything is adjusted properly, kept clean and lubed with Chainlink Pro. I'm wondering if the combination of a compact with the huge difference in chainring size with 10 speed and the narrow chain are just asking too much of the system?

Could things be improved with a different chain?

Comments

• hmm...not sure about your specific setup but I run 10spd compact on 2 bikes and managed to get both Chorus and Dura-Ace to work fine, no excessive noise etc? Can't think what you might do differently though
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    wilwil
    it does sound like either something is not matched or the setup needs a sort.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wilwil wrote:
    I've owned a Wilier Izoard Centaur since May and am not very pleased with the gears, especially at the front. I have suffer constantly from chain suck on the large ring, and other chain engagement problems when changing from large to small. The rear gears are very noisy on the middle sprockets.

Everything is adjusted properly, kept clean and lubed with Chainlink Pro. I'm wondering if the combination of a compact with the huge difference in chainring size with 10 speed and the narrow chain are just asking too much of the system?

Could things be improved with a different chain?

Don't think it can be. I used to have a Wilier Mortirolo with Centaur and had no problems with the gears at all. There's nothing wrong with 10 speed providing it's well setup and maintained - I run Chorus and Ultegra with no problems.