Specialized Allez sport 09 or Focus Variado 08

alas70
alas70 Posts: 5
edited September 2008 in Workshop
I would love some advice.

I am a keen runner who is looking for a new challenge and aiming to do a couple of triathlons next year. As part of my training I intend to cycle to work once a week (36 miles round trip, country roads), plus possibly a longish ride at the weekend.

I have spent hours on the net researching bikes and I have also been to a couple of bike shops, one a Giant dealer (who recommended the Giant SCR1 2008) the other a Specialized dealer (who wouldn't touch Giant bikes with a barge pole, his words).

As my budget is up to #700 I have narrowed my choice to 2 bikes. The Focus Variado 08 which is #616 from Wiggle and the Specialized Allez Sport 09 which is #656 from a local bike shop (not the one mentioned above) and they will give me a 12.5% discount on retail price of #750.

The Variado has a Shimano 105 10 speed group set, 50/34, 12-27 while the Specialized has a Shimano Tiagra 9 speed group set, 50/34, 11-25. The Variado has a 6061 alloy frame (3 year warranty) and the Specialized has an A1 premium aluminium frame (lifetime warranty). Anyhow, does anyone know if the Specialized has a better frame than the Variado and if so would this make up for the lower spec group set. I know that you can upgrade but how likely is it that you need to replace chainsets etc. Also will a carbon wrapped seat post, which the Specialized has, make much difference? I am a little concerned that if I buy from Wiggle I won't be able to be fitted for the bike. I am 5 ft 11 1/2 inches and have an inside let of 33 inches. The Wiggle website sizing chart indicates that I could go for either a L/56 or XL/58.

I know that I am asking a number of questions, probably spent too long researching this, but I would love some advice from anyone who has experience of either of these bikes or preferably both of them. Also any other advice that you would like to pass on will be gratefully received. Cheers.

Comments

• JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    I'd say Variado if you know what size and bike you want or the allez if you still need to be properly sized for a bike but even if you orderes the wrong size from Wiggle I think they do a returns for a fortnight.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Go to the bike shop and test ride the Allez to make sure you get the correct size and the geometry of the frame suits you. I suspect you are right about the frames as the Allez is always recommended for future upgrading. Also Tiagra is virtually identical to 105 and you won't miss one cog at the back.
    The carbon wrap seat post is cosmetic only, nothing wrong with that as long as you are not mis-sold it as full carbon.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • topdude wrote:
    Go to the bike shop and test ride the Allez to make sure you get the correct size and the geometry of the frame suits you. I suspect you are right about the frames as the Allez is always recommended for future upgrading. Also Tiagra is virtually identical to 105 and you won't miss one cog at the back.
    The carbon wrap seat post is cosmetic only, nothing wrong with that as long as you are not mis-sold it as full carbon.

I disagree with some of the above I'm afraid, and I can give you a fairly decent insight into this having owned both an Allez and a Variado! Go for the Variado. Ok so I had 05 and 06 models but IMHO the Focus actually has the better frame, I certainly preferred it to the Allez. Plus 105 is so much better than Tiagra. Focus consider the Variado frame good enough to equip with Ultegra (as with my 06 Expert version). They are both great bikes but overall the Focus would be my choice, it's simply better vfm. If you email Wiggle with all your measurements they'll do a decent job of sizing you up. Focus now sponsor a Pro Team (Milram) and their bikes are every bit as good as Specialized - they just don't have quite the same brand cachet yet.
  • I'm very pleased with my Allez, which I have on a custom 105/tiagra blend of components. I'm happy with it, but the focus looks like a good buy. I went for the alu frame which I would say is probably better and as said above is very upgradable.
    Specialized have a better high end bikes and their frames benefit from trickle down from the top. The Allez is often mentioned as a very good entry level road bike.
    You can get an 08 allez for cheaper, so that might be worth looking into (although the 09 looks and prob rides better).
    You sound like you have long legs for your height so try the 56cm with the seat post high, I'm a little taller than you with the same inside leg and the 58cm is a good fit, I found I was too long in the body for the smaller frame.

Have fun!
    Legs, lungs and lycra.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Thanks.

Jashburnham, It's good to hear from someone who has experience of both bikes. Did you find the Variado a comfortable ride. What was the difference in the feel and ride of the 2 bikes.

Love the look of the Pinarello, presumably out of my budget price.

Damage36, thanks for the advice about sizing. How tall are you. How did you find out you were too long in the body for the 56 frame. If I bought from Wiggle how would I know if the bike was the right fit for me. Is there a way of telling?
  • Both are great rides and pretty comfy. As for handling - the Focus certainly feels nimbler if not a tad skittish at times. The Allez feels a bit more solid if not a tad dull. The Focus climbs better, no idea why but it just does. I still have mine and use it as a winter trainer, i'd be loathe to get rid of it. However sold the Allez to a friend and he loves it (also relegated to winter trainer now) but it's going strong. The other thing I would add is that the Focus comes with better wheels. I guess the Spesh still comes with Alex rims? These aren't great tbh and the Shimano wheels on the Focus are much better.

Basically the Focus is a lot of bike for the money.

Of course neither are a patch on the Pinarello but that's another story altogether - although it is a good example of what can happen to you if the cycling bug bites really hard!
  • If you don't mind me asking how tall are you and what is your inside leg measurement. What size frame Variado do you have.

I am getting some conflicting messages from Focus Bikes UK and Wiggle regarding sizing. Wiggle have recommended I get a 56 in frame, they also don't have 58's in stock and won't be getting any more. Focus Bikes UK have recommended a 58. They advised that a 58 Focus (they measure centre to top) is equivalent to a 56 centre to center frame. I went to the web site bikefitting.com (recommended by Focus Bikes UK) and they computed that with my inside leg measurement of 33 inches the right frame size for me is a 54 centre to center frame size which would equate to a 56 Focus frame.

Confused, well I am. Help needed.
  • I'm 5'11 and have an inside leg of 32, ride a 54 Focus and a 56 Spesh. 56 Focus sounds about right for you.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I am 6 foot with 34" inside leg and my 58cm Focus is a tiny bit too big for me. The 56cm sounds perfect for you.
  • Cheers. I think I am ready to jump in and buy.