First love

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited October 2008 in MTB general
Just found a pic of my first ever 'proper' MTB on the web. Though mine was in dark green:

121513053_f8f4e7f06f.jpg

Skinny steel-tastic!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i will take pics of mine when i am back in the UK. I have plans for it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    I sold that to my mate for 50 quid. He still has it! Might have to get it back. 7 speed Alivio rapid fire and Altus A10 cantis, was made up when I got it lol.
  • Nowt wrong with that Supers. If only I could track down SGY***R, my beloved 1977 Kawasaki KH 250. How I regret selling that machine. Still got my first mtb although it is looking decidedly sorry for itself.
    Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
    Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
    Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    No pics, but my first proper MTB was a metallic blue GT Arrohead with retro fitted Marin tuned RST 318's, Magura HS 33's and matching yellow Wellgo V12 copies 8)
  • My first proper bike was klein pulse race which was from 1997 i think bright orange still have it in the garage well the frame anyway. & Then my first full sus was a green/yellow ProFlex Attack which i bought from buttler cycles that many years latter turned into wiggle.
  • sold my best bike to a mates brother few years ago , when i heard he had bought a new bike i asked him what has happenend to my old bike ? he sent me a txt picture of it just thrown in a heap no rear wheel in his garden next to compost heap , i could of cried

Bill :(
  • Shows you're ages =)
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    edited October 2008
    My 16 year old purple British Eagle K2 that I got 2nd hand is now being used by a 3rd friend to commute to work on :D

The other 2 friends gave it back when they got themselves new mountain bikes.

I could never part with it permanently.

It may still introduce more people to mountain biking.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • gthang
    gthang Posts: 293
    My 1st proper MTB (after a Raleigh Mustang :?) was a 1994 Diamondback Sorrento purchased from Halesown cycles, it had really nice black paint with small purple stripes all over it. Was stolen about 18mths after I got it. :evil: The bast*rds must have been watching me ride to my saturday job, they came to the back of the shop walked behind a skip and went throught my lock with bolt cutters. Yes, I am still bitter about it! was a really nice bike.
  • my first mtb was a supermarket Y frame bouncer! in '01, shocking hey !but i did used to ride my step dads Raleigh mustang when i was up there! (admitedly it was a bit too big frame wise but good fun! was the pinky/purple version! (had a raleigh esprit raod bike at home!) always wanted one of my own back then but pops was more a 'i was a road rider so you will be too' type!!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • bonyjoe
    bonyjoe Posts: 48
    edited September 2008
    I haven't had a first proper mountain bike yet :(

Picking it up on tuesday though :D Will post pics then.
  • My first proper MTB was a GT Timberline, was white with random black stripes on it (like a zebra). Came with 500LX but upgraded half of it to Deore DX. The DX rear mechs used to look well nice :) .
    Must have been around 91 ish. Its strange how when you sell/buy an older bike its nearly always £50 dont you think lol :lol:
  • supersonic
    Aye, not really worth it!

I remember that Timberline, with that paintjob - and foot long stem!
  • lol, true it was a long stem and looked even longer because it was very flat. It used to ride well from what I remember though. Took a lot of paper money to get it :lol:
    Was the Diamond Back a kind of marbly paint? If so I think a mate had one.
  • supersonic
    Mine was a luscious pearlescent racing green. Looked fantastic!
  • gthang
    After my DB was nicked I got a GT Timberline in Team scream, which only got replaced in March (is now storage at my parents after a total strip and rebuild) :-)

SL271001.jpg
  • That pic brings back memories Gthang (saying that the Tequesta I got off my mate a few years back didn't look to much different), looks like your stem has been replaced. I think my forks were different and probably heavier because it was the same thickness from top to bottom.
    Took you a long time to replace it :wink:
  • gthang
    Took you a long time to replace it :wink:
    only 13ish years. I wonder if my new bike will last that long?

My GT is either a 1994 or 95 can't remember exactly, Everything is totally standard and unchanged, including the stem. (appart from the tyres, brake pads, bar ends and grips) I'll never sell it.

I also have a blue and yellow 1986 burner which is priceless, to me anyway, had it from new :D Pic taken in 2004 (on a crap camera) after a full restoration.

bmx3.jpg
  • Cool BMX, had a school mate that had one. my brother had a chrome mongoose if I remember right.
    Your timberline was a bit newer than mine then. No reason why it shouldn't last you as long apart from you might give it more abuse now you have disk brakes and front sus.
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    2898677892_ba46ce651e_o.jpg

Diamond Back Topanga, alivio group with STX rear mech. Still works perfectly today with pretty much zero maintenance, although i don`t think its ever actually seen a mountain :D

Only problem is the seatposst is rusted in, was a crackin bike for gettin to school on and dossing in the woods.

Think it was £320 about 15 years ago :shock:

Phil
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mine is a Muddy Fox Courier I got when I was 11, in 1986. I was the first kid in my village to get an MTB and all my friends took the mickey but the next year they all wanted one :)
    I could just about fit on it then so all it needed was a longer seatpost.
    It was bought from Harry Hall's when they were in Cathedral Street, the sticker is still on there. The only changes are one of the tyres and I got a Biopace Crank when I was about 13...
    I still ride it now and it gets comments wherever I ride it, it is still immaculate considering the hammer it's had.
    I will post a pic in due course.
  • some piece >.>
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    sorry for the bump, just found this pic of the bike i first MTBd on and that got be back into it a few years ago.

IMAGE_029.jpg

Surprised it stood up to the abuse i gave it.

Last that I heard of it was last year when it was stolen from the friend I sold it to a couple of years back.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    For me it was a 97 Giant Terrago with hydraulic rim brakes :shock: (Magura HS11's if I remeber correctly).

Ironically after years of uprgrading it is now back in it's original configuration as a fully rigid (took the old RST Mozo Pros and USE suspension seat post off and reduced the weight by 3lb) although the Maguras got replaced with LX Vs years ago. Still got the orignal STX shifters (which will be getting replaced soon as I can't cope with single release) and lX rear mech.

All in all it's making quite a nice little commuter bike and it's nearly as light as my very expensive XT upped hardtail 8) .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mine was a Raleigh Marauder Index. Not your plebby basic model, noooo, this was the sexy white one with the SIS gears. Awesome street cred :lol: If I could buy it back, I would not.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • mine was a 94 Kona Cinder Cone
    i still have her but she needs lots of work if she is ever to get back out again
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    first proper mtb was a GT avalanche 3 and was a piece of crap. first bike i ever loved was a giant reign, i wish i still had it.:

pbpic1282535.jpg
  • muddylegs
    muddylegs Posts: 485
    My first proper MTB was a GT Timberline, was white with random black stripes on it (like a zebra). Came with 500LX but upgraded half of it to Deore DX. The DX rear mechs used to look well nice :) .
    Must have been around 91 ish. Its strange how when you sell/buy an older bike its nearly always £50 dont you think lol :lol:

I have a Karakoram of that age. I still ride it. It is mint condition fantastic bike feels so light after my full suspension.
  • KB8
    KB8 Posts: 123
    gthang wrote:
    My 1st proper MTB (after a Raleigh Mustang )

Oh yeahhh! from Mark Taylors around 1990 in orange & yellow. Do have pics but will have to ask mam & dad to dig through about 20,000 photos.
  • KB8
    KB8 Posts: 123
    northwind wrote:
    Mine was a Raleigh Marauder

Freakin hell, it's all coming back!!! I had the Mustang. My older bro had the blue Marauder. Both classics in our memories.

Hey, he might have had more gears back then & got front sus before me, but he'd take a serious ass whippin now.