The charge spoon saddle

BUICK
BUICK Posts: 362
edited October 2008 in Workshop
I bought one about 6 months ago and was immediately taken with it, but as time has gone on and I've finetuned it's height and position gradually I've come to realise...

...it's truly awesome!

I know that saddle choice is about as personal as it gets, and what works for one won't work for another - but just thought I'd give a little report seeing as this little beauty has impressed me so much
'07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
'07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    which model did you get?
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    I run a white Cro-Mo one on my MTB and I also love it - cracking saddle for the price! Even the Ti one is only £50!
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    I got the brown cromo version of the spoon. I noticed recently they have put out a new saddle - rather badly named as the 'knife' but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's tried it out and see how it compares.
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I find it amusing that they name all their products after household items, but obviously it works so good luck to them.
  • When are they bringing the 'Nutcracker' out?
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    The "Nutcracker" saddle will most likely be launched after the "Cheesegrater" :lol:
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Ive got the charge spoon, replacing the stock item on my 2008 Allez.
    (The saddle got 9/10 in the Cycling Magazine)

My azz still hurts plenty after a 22 mile commute.
    I'm just coming to the dawning realisation that if you are the wrong side of 90kg, then cycling is a painful business.

The shame is, it detracts from the enjoyment last 5 miles form home, and I can't cycle the next day. 2 Days later I can cycle again. :( <sobs>)
  • I have just got a Selle san marco arami and for me it has stopped the numb nuts which would start after about 3-4 miles.

have not done any long rides on it yet but it has been good at the mo :D
  • I keep thinking that I should get a new saddle because my Rido looks a bit wierd, and I have seen so many good reviews of the Charge spoon.

Then I go for a 30 mile ride after a week off the bike and I get off having spent 2 completely painless hours enjoying the countryside.

Do I get the conventional Charge Spoon or stick with the wacky but comfy Rido?
    100% ME!
    Do you think I would be this bad on drugs?
  • hwangeruk wrote:
    Ive got the charge spoon, replacing the stock item on my 2008 Allez.

I'm just coming to the dawning realisation that if you are the wrong side of 90kg, then cycling is a painful business.

The shame is, it detracts from the enjoyment last 5 miles form home, and I can't cycle the next day. 2 Days later I can cycle again. :( <sobs>)

I'm 60 kg and my ass used to hurt like hell, keep at it cos i found it stopped eventually musta killed the nerves or some-thing :?
  • Sorry I forgot to say that I am about 95kg so not a light weight :wink:
  • brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    I bought one a few weeks ago after reading many of the excellent reviews. As it was only about £22 it seemed like a no-brainer.

I'm glad to report it is very comfortable (for me), and a bunus is that it's pretty light - at least I was expecting it to be heavier for that price.
  • BUICK wrote:
    I got the brown cromo version of the spoon. I noticed recently they have put out a new saddle - rather badly named as the 'knife' but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's tried it out and see how it compares.

The Knife?? They didn't think that one through, did they? Hope it's comfier than the name implies! :shock:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    i have a spoon and i'm 88kg.
    i find it comfy and have used for about a 50 mile ride.

if you are new to cycling, then you will have to break your bum in - no matter which saddle your are using. it is also really easy to make a big difference in saddle comfort by making minor adjustments to the set up.

make sure it is very flat and then try adjusting forward and back to see what difference it makes.
    regards,
    dbb
  • hwangeruk wrote:

Agreed.
    Having used 'spoons' on all my bikes, I still reckon its the best 20 quid you can spend, BUT, the 'spoon', and any other saddle I've tried, STILL kills me after 30-40 miles. If you are ~90Kilos in weight, then thats a lot of pounds-per-square-inch (please excuse the mixed units...) on the perineum...... :(

Let's shed those pounds (sorry kilos) boys and aim for a numb-free spring!! :D
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    hwangeruk wrote:

Try this one, the Selle SMP TRK, it's only £22.50 from Bike+

http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/graphics/Strike_Man.jpg

I'm about 85kg and after a series of saddles that haven't suited me this one is comfortable even after 100 miles.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • I feel like I am in group therapy on this thread, and I wasn't the original poster :)
    I'll try that saddle Gav, as thats not alot of outlay for the rewards it might give.
    Nice one!
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    Gav2000 wrote:
    hwangeruk wrote:

Try this one, the Selle SMP TRK, it's only £22.50 from Bike+

http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/graphics/Strike_Man.jpg

I'm about 85kg and after a series of saddles that haven't suited me this one is comfortable even after 100 miles.

that saddle just looks wrong! :P
    regards,
    dbb
  • Padova
    Padova Posts: 22
    Or you could try this one

http://sprintingforsigns.com/node/234