Local Bike Shop

Steve88
Steve88 Posts: 59
edited October 2008 in MTB general
Hi guys I'm am just wanting to see what you all look for in your local bike shop? Service, Knowledge, Experience, whats the most important thing to you?. All and any comments welcome ;)
I didnt do it! I found it broken, honest!

Comments

• missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    It's the experience personally, if they're rude I'll never set foot in there again and vice versa! :twisted:
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Experience as in do they know their onions. I tend to use my LBS when I need something special, help or advice. I want them to know more than me and when they give advice I want to be comfortable following it.

Stock and customer service also help :D
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Yeah, that they know what they are on about. Should have been a bit more clear, sorry.
    I didnt do it! I found it broken, honest!
  • matt581
    matt581 Posts: 219
    Good after sales service helps to. I just brought a new bike from my LBS and a week after getting it i was having a few problems with the gear set up. I called in on my way back from work and they sorted the problem for me there and then and didn’t even mention charging. They always friendly and nothing is to much trouble.
  • my lbs has its own home made Cider and a Special ale brewed for them! (they run a B&B along side!) that does help in the raising of the favorites satkes! ahha!
    but friendly service, willingness to chat, helpfullness etc is always a good start!
    they are relatively new but can get parts with in a couple of days if needed! and are always willing tohelp!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I look for someone that does a good job of my bike if i leave it with them, and someone that rewards loyalty with good prices and help when required.

I also quite like the more personal service you get from a smaller shop. My LBS always asks me how my MTB i bought from him is doing even if I'm just buying something basic for my commuter.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • I look for the perks, the one I use open on sundays for me if I need to do big things and will do all the labour for free assuming I bring lunch and some beers, they also do me a discount 90% of the time.

The do know their stuff as well and I go riding with some of the mechanics so that helps.
  • While on holiday with the family and my bike I went into the L(to people who live there)BS to have a look around. Got invited to an evening ride. Met some of the mtb club based at the shop. Had an enjoyable 3 hour ride followed by the pub with them.

Although the shop and club are almost two hours drive away from my house I go for a Sunday morning ride with them most months and several of my friends from work and near where I live have been along as well.

The friendly, knowledgable and enthusiastic people in the shop and club mean that they have become my adopted LBS.

I don't mind paying a little more than internet prices for bike bits if it helps them out.

Some of the closer shops have given poor advice or just plain lied to me or to my friends so I'll not go there or recommend them to anyone.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • gthang
    gthang Posts: 293
    Too much attitude / rudeness in the shops near me, I only use them if I really have to / can't wait for CRC to deliver. Drove 70miles to avoid the LBS's to get my bike. Shame really.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I have never used a bike shop to service/fix a bike, so the workshop side of it doesn't bother me as much as some, however...I fitted a new fork to my bike and must have cut the steerer tube so that it was still a fraction too long. I rode into my LBS, explained what I had done and they pointed me towards a workbench and said crack on!

Didn't charge me either which I thought was brilliant.

They do know my face, as I have bought 1 bike, plus tonnes of other stuff over the years in there, so always get a friendly reception even if the shop is mobbed. When they have time, I always seem to get caught up in conversations with the staff about what both them and I have been riding recently and get some good tips for new local trails from them.

What I want from them like someone else said, is good advice about stuff that I don't know much about. It is great when they do actually know more, as it gives me an opportunity to learn. Obviously, some members of staff are more experienced/nowledgable than others, but in my LBS they admit it and say..I will just grab..such and such, as they know more about that.... thats what I want. Honesty. Good Natured, Experienced/Knowledgable. Not fussed about getting discounts (unless I am spending more than a hundred pounds or so), if I want it cheap, I can buy online.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Sad to say but IMO the lbs is rapidly being replaced by 'lifestyle' MTB outlets that are only interested in parting punters with their cash and offering very little in the way of experience or knowledge - they could just as easily be selling TVs in Currys.

There are a couple of 'real' lbs that I use when I can but the reality is that they are hanging by a thread and sometimes their prices are a :shock: compared to the Internet. Difficult times :(
  • Try Walkers Cycling, Kilmaurs. www.walkerscycling.co.uk
    Move house if you're too far away. The whole family are involved - selling, repairing, riding, organising, clubbing - or just being a phone call away. Their web ad sums up the business well.
  • We are very lucky here in Maidenhead to have a shop in the high street that goes that much further on your behalf.

I regard a LBS as important as a good local wine & spirit merchant.

Stephen