Straight-pull Hubs

Mr. Skweek
Mr. Skweek Posts: 37
edited October 2008 in Workshop
I cannot find any straight-pull hubs for a hand-built wheelset with 28 or 30 spokes.
Obviosly, factory wheels such as Mavic, Campag, Fulcrum and Shimano have straight-pull hubs but not in these drillings.
Any suggestions? :lol::lol:

Comments

• Ooops - I mean 28 or 32 holes.
  • Probably because at higher spoke counts, the spaces between the spoke holes is less, weakening the hub flanges.

So you've got to go to a strong hubset, which always means £$€

Try Hugi 240 or 340 hubs. They're legendarily good... or so they say.

28832.jpg
  • EDIT: oh I see you said straight pull... I thought you were talking about radial lacing... :oops:

Well see my first sentance... there isn't much room to do it the normal way (when the spoke holes are drilled directly into hub shell)

Speedcomposites make them in 28H, similar to this:

studio_speedcomposites_front_hub.jpg
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I have a set of Mavic SSC(I think) wheels with 32, 3 cross, straight pull spokes. Not sure if they are available anymore. If they are I would assume you could buy the hubs from
    Mavic or a dealer. These hubs can only be laced 3 cross. Good set, no problems.

Dennis Noward
  • munster
    munster Posts: 737
    Mavic classic pro's or just plain classics are 32 hole straight pull. I have classic pro's and I love them!
  • Thank you all for confirming that there are no straight-pull hubs available off the shelf, only as part of a factory wheel or an after sales spare. I wonder why? :cry:
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Probably because the advantage of straight pull is with no strees concentrations in the bend they need less spokes for the same durability. So why spend the extra for straight pull constuction then put loads of additional (unnecessary) spokes in.
  • dennisn
    Zendog1 wrote:
    Probably because the advantage of straight pull is with no strees concentrations in the bend they need less spokes for the same durability. So why spend the extra for straight pull constuction then put loads of additional (unnecessary) spokes in.

I've got to disagree with you. There are no unnecessary spokes in a wheel. :wink:
    To Mr. Skweek - you CAN'T buy a Mavic hub from a bike shop???

Dennis Noward
  • Zendog1 & Dennisn
    1.The rims I have in mind (because they are lighter than factory wheel rims) are DT Swiss 1.1 and Open Pro which are not available in less thsn 28h.
    2.Obviously the rim/hub combo has to match.
    3.Straight-pull hubs suggested for standard spokes are all MAVIC: Classics 32/32, Cosmos 24/28, Ksyrium Equipe 18/20 and Aksium 20/20.
    4. None of these match the above rims. Can anyone suggest any other rims?
    If not, then I have to have normal hubs or factory wheels. :roll:
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    WHy in particular are you after straight pull hubs anyway? I can't see how they offer any real advantage for properly built hand-built wheels.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Those Zenith hubs I belive still use a conventional angled spoke, so therefore don't really offer any advantage - spokes always tend to break at the head. There were a few straight pull hub and spoke combos available a few years ago, but don't know of any currently available - getting the right size of spokes for a rim would be your problem. It's OK for Mavic, Fulcrum etc as they can make them to their design, but not really practical for the handbuilder.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Jajacp
    Jajacp Posts: 79
    So just cosmetically straight pull - I didn't realise that.
  • dennisn
    aracer wrote:
    WHy in particular are you after straight pull hubs anyway? I can't see how they offer any real advantage for properly built hand-built wheels.

I'm with "a" on this one. I don't see any advantage in using this type of hub and spokes.
    Then again I don't really see any disadvantage with straight pull other than you have to use a certain lacing pattern(3x or whatever) that the hubs are drilled for. With "standard"
    hubs you can lace straight, 2x, 3x, aero(maybe). As for spoke breakage I haven't had a problem with either in years(I can't believe I said that, sure to come back and bite me, probably on the next ride).

Dennis Noward
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    Monty Dog wrote:
    getting the right size of spokes for a rim would be your problem
    Not that hard to get straight pull spokes in a wide variety of lengths.
    http://www.xx-light-bikes.de/shop/pi147 ... goryId=260
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Those Zenith hubs I belive still use a conventional angled spoke, so therefore don't really offer any advantage - spokes always tend to break at the head. There were a few straight pull hub and spoke combos available a few years ago, but don't know of any currently available - getting the right size of spokes for a rim would be your problem. It's OK for Mavic, Fulcrum etc as they can make them to their design, but not really practical for the handbuilder.

Those Zenith hubs do use straight-pull spokes. However they are significantly heavier than the conventionally flanged version of the Zenith hub.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Jajacp
    Jajacp Posts: 79
    I'll try again.

At the bike show Hope were displaying a new road wheelset with straight pull hubs and deep DT rims. It doesn't appear on their website yet, and what I don't know is if they also intend to sell the hubs separately.