Trek Madone 5.1

roadrider84
roadrider84 Posts: 335
edited October 2008 in Workshop
Does anyone have one of these? if yes, can you please tell me what you think of it?

My LBS are selling these at £1600, had a look at one the other day and it really took my fancy....

Your thoughts and comments would be most welcome.

Comments

• Buy it. Chew his arm off as it is not continuing for 2009 and the lesser 4.7 Madone will be £1900
  • That's the response I was hoping for!!

I'm going in to test it on Saturday, he has 3 left so hopefully they will not all be sold by the time Saturday comes!!
  • I'm looking at getting this tomorrow.

Does anybody have any further thoughts before the cash is handed over?

What are Trek Madones like in general? Are they reliable? Good for climbing?
  • You have been watching the grand tours over the last 14 months?

Contador has won 3 of them (not allowed in TDF) and he wseems to float on them. Some other guy won 7 TDF on earlier versions
  • Indeed I have, very impressive but the rider(s) contributed a lot to the success, not just the bike.

I'm seeking assurances as I have always had Campagnolo components in the past. This comes with Shimano Ultegra. Do you recommend Shimano components? Which groupset in the Campag range would you liken the Ultegra to?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Apparently - all the 2009 bikes will be priced higher anyway.

As to Shimano - have you not followed cycling at all ? Probably half the peleton are on them. They are as good as Campag basically - and the Ultegra is the next step down from their top of the line groupset. Just buy it if it fits you !
  • I bought this today, tookm ot out for a quick spin,LBS wouldn't let me keep holdof it for this afternoons TTT but never mind.

Take delivery of it next week, can't wait, it was the last one left in the shop but considering he reduced the price by 400 pounds, it's no surprise really!!!

Just hope I make the adaption from Campagnolo Veloce to Ultegra!!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You have been watching the grand tours over the last 14 months?

Contador has won 3 of them (not allowed in TDF) and he wseems to float on them. Some other guy won 7 TDF on earlier versions

But has it won any editions of Paris-Roubaix? A greater test of a bike......
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Here is a picture of the bike.

BikeForumExpert; you were right, the bike is amazing!!
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Are those the wheels that came on it?
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • I wish they were!

No, I upgraded from the standard Bontrager Race Lite wheelset and replaced them with the Reynolds Attack carbon wheelset. They're on offer at wiggle and I wanted a low weight pair of wheels that I could use in both TT's and Road Races. Completely transformed the bike in my opinion. The Bonty wheels are OK but pretty heavy when it comes to climbing.
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    That looks superb. Had you thought about some yellow bar tape? Enjoy!
  • I like that idea!

Do you not think it will look a bit too yellow though?
  • jellikins
    jellikins Posts: 153
    "bonty wheels to heavy for climbing" - are you serious! lol.

The Btrager Race Lites that came with my 2008 Madone 5.2 are superb and definately not too heavy.

I am doing the Pyranees with them and as they offer better braking than carbon wheels are more suited to climbing than not.
  • My mistake, they're actually the Bontrager Race Wheelset, not the race lite or x lite.

I found them very heavy and un-resposive hence the upgrade.