Do helmets have an expiry date?

Ed McC
Ed McC Posts: 175
edited September 2008 in Workshop
I have had my helmet for several years now. Do they have an expiry date? I know hard hats used on building sites do.

Comments

• Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    yep they do, the foam breaks down under over time
  • Ed McC
    Ed McC Posts: 175
    Bugly wrote:
    yep they do, the foam breaks down under over time

Is there any guidelines as to after how many years should they be replaced?
  • I've heard 2 years mentioned, but I'm convinced that's a 'sell more helmets' thing ;)
  • 2 years?? :shock:

Mine is 11 years old...
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
  • Normally the expiry date is before you buy them - so don't use a helmet
  • If it's 11 years old, I'm not sure about a 'best before end' date but I'll bet today's helmets are better than the ones 11 years ago.

Of course there will be those who'll post none are worth it and they're worse than nothing.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mine seem to have a date manufactured label on them, and they can be a year or so old before you even buy them - so 2 years is a silly length of time.

I think I've seen 4 or 5 years mentioned elsewhere - that seems to be about right - and you'll probably fancy a change after 5 years anyway ?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Many manufactuers crash replacement policies expire after 2-3 years - the integrity of the helmet depends on a number of factors - exposure to UV and heat, sweat and general useage, which is why they don't have an infinite life. I normally replace mine after about 4-5 years, or sooner if it gets crashed.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    IIRC, Giro recommend changing every 3 years but if you have been involved in an accident and your helmet is just scratched then replace it. Your LBS sells helmets but not replacement heads!