Campy Shifters and Shimano Rear Mech???????

drumsmasher
drumsmasher Posts: 241
edited September 2008 in Workshop
Can someone please tell me if i can run Campy shifters with a Shimano rear mech please. I cant see why not as it only tightens the cable, but....i am not a bike mechanic!! Thanks!!
Another tree...another cracked rib!!

Comments

• Do you know why??
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,708
    Campagnolo and Shimano use different cable pull ratios. Basically, Shimano levers pull one amount of cable with each click, Campag pull a different amount. The mechs are designed around the amount of cable pulled by the shifters.
  • i think they have different pull ratios
  • Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.
  • Shifters only pull/release the cable, but Its not that simple anymore. All modern rear mechs work on a parallelogram design. If the size of the parallelogram on the rear mechs are even slightly different sizes, then that will change how much the jockey wheels move relative to the amount of cable pull. This is only a basic guide as to why and doesn't include differing actuation ratios. :?
    It would work if you were using old school friction shifters though...
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Look here http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946 for all the information you need.

I am using Campag Record 10 speed shifters with a Shimano DuraAce rear mech/Ultegra 9 speed cassette on my bestest bike at the moment.

Rich
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    edited September 2008
    Look here http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946 for all the information you need.

I am using Campag Record 10 speed shifters with a Shimano DuraAce rear mech/Ultegra 9 speed cassette on my bestest bike at the moment.

Rich

Likewise my 'cross bike uses Centaur 10sp Ergo levers, a Mavic 840 rear mech (designed for Shimano transmissions) and an HG50 8sp cassette. Works like a dream.

David

P.S. Just to clarify things - this one works 'from the box' with no mods needed to the final cable route.
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • I'm using campag 10 shifters, shimaNO 9 cassette and mech with a J-Tech Shiftmate device, perfect. I tried the CTC recommended "Hubbub" cable routing but it was never spot on, whereas with the above set up it is.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I' I tried the CTC recommended "Hubbub" cable routing but it was never spot on, whereas with the above set up it is.

I'm currently using this method, Campag 10 levers with a Shimano rear mech, a 9s
    cassette and the cable routed hubbub style. Perfect shifting.

Also, Campag 10s levers, Campag rear mech, shimano 9s hub, shimano 9s casstte.
    Again, perfect shifting.

maander
  • Another 'hubbub' cable routing user here on our tandem: Veloce 10 Ergos, Ultegra 9 rear mech, Ultegra 9s 12-27 cassette.
    Faultless shifting - spot on indexing.
  • Some great info here people. Thanks for taking the time!