fixed debate

Mark Alexander
Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
edited September 2008 in The bottom bracket
There seems to be contention whether it's best for winter training.

I bought/had built my first fixed in December for a bit of fun. :D for those in th know it has a 72" gearing. I've been riding it around town and the 4 miles to work. I can ride 100 miles on a road bike without trouble at all. It's bullet proof and gets a lot of comments (from non-cyclists too) that it looks cool. 8)

Yesterday I rode out the 13 hilly miles to the family and then back. Today, I can feel my calves and thighs. I was 'taking it easy' too.

So, what do you all think?
http://twitter.com/mgalex
www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business

Comments

• Stick with it, my climbing has improved vastly through 3 weeks of fixed commuting. I can stay out of the saddle longer, accelerate harder and leave my mates standing now. Your first few fixed rides will tear your legs off as you adjust to a new style of riding.

You may have too big a gear, I ride 46/18, approx 66" in old money, it is hilly where I live (lakes). This gear will get me up most hills providing the bars dont break and doesnt leave me spinning too fast on the way down. My commute is 10 mile ew with 800ft of ascent, a couple of short 20-25% sections
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah my gear is a bit lower than yours too. What cadence are you turning over on that ?

I've used mine on rides up to 60-70 miles in the winter and its great. I cant say its revolutionised my riding, and I dont think I'm massively fitter than I would otherwise have been - but I do enjoy riding fixed. I probably just dont do it enough.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'm running the same GI as you Mark

I'm doing 13 miles each way and I can certainly feel the calves after two days on the bounce... it's much more muscle orientated and there's no respite

I suspect it'll take the legs a bit of getting used to braking as well
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    riding a fixie is said to improve your leg action, you cant just hammer down in the pedals you sort of round out your stroke, so the calves are doing more work - thus the get sore. Also getting the cadence up on a fixie helps stop the bouncing on the saddle.

temped to convert a cannondale caad 3 to a fixie ....
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Bugly wrote:
    riding a fixie is said to improve your leg action, you cant just hammer down in the pedals you sort of round out your stroke, so the calves are doing more work - thus the get sore. Also getting the cadence up on a fixie helps stop the bouncing on the saddle.

temped to convert a cannondale caad 3 to a fixie ....

yes I found I can spin downhill stupidly quick before it gets a bit much now, it's certainly faster than when I started
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14