Confused Newby

Jay dubbleU
Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Its about 20 years since I last rode a bike but I want to get back into it via the Cycle2Work scheme - I've got a budget of around 350.00 - I'm looking for a bike that I can use as a regular commute - about 10 miles but which I can also use on trails at the weekend - I seem to have looked at hundreds over the last couple of weeks but have now got thoroughly confused by the whole thing - probably the age.

So far the Giant Yukon seems to be my best bet but I'd welcome suggestions

Thanks

Comments

• hi mate have you looked at the carrera kraken yet? i used to have one and there pretty good
    the frame is light and very responsive and they normally come with a pretty decent spec plus i think this years model comes with hydraulic disc brakes
    good luck in your search
    Carrera Vulcan

..........................Meh.........................
  • Thanks Chris - I was a bit wary of the Carrera range because its tied to Halfords and they seem to have some bad press on setting up new bikes - my local Halfords has a Carrera Vulcan special edition with RocShox forks - any good ?
  • yeah there pretty good as-well
    unfortunately carrera have a bit of bad name because of the halfords link but to be honest most people who have bought on a low budget or as a first bike dont really have any problems plus the frames are good enough to keep and just upgrade the parts over time if needed check this review out
    http://www.bikeradar.com/beginners/gear ... n-07-27707
    have a look at chain reaction cycles as-well theyve got a gt avalanche 2.0 dropped down to £300 there probably about the best budget bike you'll get
    Carrera Vulcan

..........................Meh.........................
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Nothing wrong with the Carrera bikes. Depending on the store you buy one from it may be worthwhile getting it looked over by a LBS.
    Steve C
  • The spec on the Vulcan seems good - probably better than anything else they had in stock - unfortunately our Cycle2Work scheme ties me to Halfords although they do have a Bike Hut branch in store so the build might be OK - I'll take a look at the GT Avalanche - thanks for that :)
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    I've had a Carrera Kraken, and now have a Carrera Fury....I can understand peoples slight concern with buying from Halfords, but if you're worried....you can always purchase it from Halfords and have your LBS put it together for you ;)

The new Carrera Kraken also has a Ltd edition version (which i wasnt aware of until having a chat with someone in the shop)
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • Might have to go and take a second look at Carrera - they certainly seem to have a better spec than most bikes in the 300-350 range - trip to Bike Hut tomorrow I think :)
  • has it
    Bikes are drugs and Im pedalling

http://sherwoodpines.yolasite.com/
  • Oh yeah!! :D
  • Halfords can order any bike you like well thats what they told me when i had my old zaskar but that was about 4 years ago. :( I miss that bike so much.
  • I didn't realise but we have an in store Bike Hut at my local Halfords - went down on Saturday and they were really helpful - answered newby questions very patiently and did say that they could order any current model for me - thinking of going for the Giant Yukon or the Giant Escape M2 as they would both suit my needs - ie commuting/trails - seem to be good beginners bikes and will leave room in my budget for locks,crudcatcher etc - just had confirmation that my C2W has been approved - now all I need to do is sort out my FCN !! 8)