Hello from newby and advice on shortlist please

handful
handful Posts: 920
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all. I have decided to make a latish (46 years old) entry into cycling and am buying a mountain bike on the ride to work scheme from Evans. I set myself a limit of £400 and liked the look of the Pinnacle Peak 3. I now have my voucher for £450 to allow for a few accessories but have been doing some more homework and wonder now whether I should spend the whole lot on one of two other bikes that appear to be well thought of in reviews. They are the Cannondale F5 Disc 2008 and the GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2008. Links to all 3 here:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec000921
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec000096
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/ ... e-ec000669

I'm sure the Pinnacle would be fine for my uses, some road use but I also want to make use of the decent locations in the area like the Mendips and Quantocks for the odd sensible off road run but there is a lack of opinions around about how good these Pinnacle bikes are. I'm told Evans give a lifetime guarantee on the frame and the rest of the spec is very similar to the other two, maybe slightly better in fact. Could I ask for some opinions from you knowledgable peeps please :) They are making up all 3 for me to try and choose on the weekend so options still open for now.

Thanks in advance....handful
Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
Orbea Rise

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    The GT has better spec then the Pinnacle - well worth the extra 50 quid IMO
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hi and welcome,

You have picked out 3 very good value and highly regarded machines there! the GT probably edges it on spec and reputation (the WMB mag rated it as the best 500 pound bike they had ever tested): I'd visit the store and see what feels best. You need to get the right size anyway, and they vary between brands.
  • handful
    Blimey, you are quick to reply around here, thanks! I suspected the vote would go against the Pinnacle, can I ask why? Is it just a case that they are not so well known and people don't have the experience of them. Looking at it close up I thought it looked the biz for the money and looks well put together but I am pretty clueless tbh.
    Orbea Rise
  • supersonic
    Value wise, at 500 it was outclassed, a much better prospect at 400. Other budget pinnacles have been mediocre at best.
  • handful
    Thanks for your views supersonic, much appreciated.
    Orbea Rise
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Frame quality on the Pinnacle is unknown. I personally prefer the Suntour X100 fork to the Darts on the other two parts. Shimano hube edge it over the KORE ones on the Pinnacle for me.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • handful
    Thanks BlackSpur, looks fairly conclusive so far in favour of the GT. Anyone with a different view and has anyone got the Pinnacle?
    Orbea Rise
  • handful
    Just another question on this one, I just noticed the GT has mechanical disc brakes whereas the other two have hydraulic.(could have sworn they were hydraulic when I looked at it in the shop :( )

Does this make much difference to the feel of the brakes and to the amount of maintenance required? Does this point give the other two bikes an advantage? Thanks for any opinions on this.
    Orbea Rise
  • supersonic
    They are hydro on the GT - wrong pic!

Hydro are generally better, less maintenance overall, but when do go wrong, usually are harder to fix.
  • handful
    The description on the link I posted says it has 'Tektro Auriga comp mechanical disc brakes'?? I'm sure I saw a reservoir on it in the shop though.....getting confused, maybe I was looking at a 2009 by mistake?
    Orbea Rise
  • supersonic
    Oh right, I have seen some pics of Avalanches with mechanicals, that one does show hydro.

Auriga Comps are hydro ;-)
  • handful
    Thanks for that supersonic....thought I must have been going senile as I was sure I saw hydraulics on it. :lol:

Bit of a clanger though, I wonder how many people have opted for something else because they think it has mechanicals.
    Orbea Rise
  • i wud say the gt its a lush bike my mate has one nd i am jealous of him 4 it
  • handful
    Thanks hardtail100, looks like the GT is hot favorite sp far as long as it feels right 8)

I'm a bit surprised nobody has recommended the cannondale though, it looks great in black and looks like comparable spec.
    Orbea Rise
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    i wud say the gt its a lush bike my mate has one nd i am jealous of him 4 it
    I'd buy a new keyboard mate, it looks like yours is broken.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • handful
    Well, I went and tried all 3 earlier and am now the proud owner of an Avalanche :D

I have to confess being sorely tempted by the cannondale, a very nice bike that felt very well put together and had the added unadvertised attraction of Avid Juicy 3 hydros. But with the advice from you guys ringing in my ears I plumped for the GT. I got the distinct impression that the sales guy was desperately trying to push me towards the Pinnacle though! More or less told me I was a brand tart :lol: Can't wait to try it out now.

Thanks again for the very sound advice.
    Orbea Rise
  • hardtail100 wrote:
    i wud say the gt its a lush bike my mate has one nd i am jealous of him 4 it
    I'd buy a new keyboard mate, it looks like yours is broken.

well im a 13 year old kid how do you exepect me 2 talk lol