blackburn X6/X8 lights- battery packs

stagger
stagger Posts: 116
edited September 2008 in Workshop
I have some blackburn x6 lights which have been fine but the battery pack performance has dropped off so they aren't useable anymore on full intensity (15-20 mins).

They haven't been used over the summer but trickle charged and occasional full rundown. i know there have been problems with them in general, and the run times were never anywhere the product claims.

Does anyone know if:

1. The nex x8 packs are better? - are they Li not NiMH and will that make a difference to the discharge life over time?

2. Can you get a battery pack only for the x8 and if so, is it compatible with the x6 ports and does it work? i am guessing the ports/connections will be the same as the lamps are the same I think.

Have emailed blackburn but no response. The battery warranty is only a year and i'm well over. So I thought a compromise, if I cant persuade thenm to replace, would be to just buy a new x8 battery pack if they are not too pricey, rather than shelling out for a new light set. As the set-up is pretty good otherwise

any thoughts appreciated

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    You could replace the cells yourself if you are a bit handy, Maplin sell tagged NiMH cells (there may well be cheaper places though), you should be able to get exactly the same ones. Alternatively many people sell ready assembled packs that you could just drop in the container (eBay is a good place to look - UK sellers only) (sorry I have no idea what your pack is like). Re-seal with silicone sealant.
  • stagger
    stagger Posts: 116
    alfablue wrote:
    You could replace the cells yourself if you are a bit handy, Maplin sell tagged NiMH cells (there may well be cheaper places though), you should be able to get exactly the same ones. Alternatively many people sell ready assembled packs that you could just drop in the container (eBay is a good place to look - UK sellers only) (sorry I have no idea what your pack is like). Re-seal with silicone sealant.

Ta- thats a good idea. I now have a response from blackburn- no, the x6/x8 are not compatible- so its diy as you suggest or buy new pack/lights..
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I see the battery packs are upwards of £75, so you should be able to save a lot with the DIY route. Alternatively, give up and go for 2 Fenix L2D CE Q5 with Twofish Lockblock mounts and rechargeable NiMH AA batteries. They are brighter LED's than than the X6 and the rechargeable AA batteries are £1.25 each, and the whole setup weighs around 100g per light.