Ford Mondeo hatchback (Mk 3)

2»

Comments

• batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Honda Accord?

Go pre 2001 and don't worry about the tax.

Am looking at a Merc E320 estate, now thats HUGE. No hatch version though.

And yes before you all start I know about their endless faults, but I do currently drive an MG of Rover parentage so that doesn't really concern me!!!!
  • if your still worried about space, i managed to get a 150cc trials motorbike in the back! youd be suprised what you can get in a car, i cant bet my giant faith 3, all my DH equipmeant, tools and spares in the back of a old VW polo!!
    Tree's are not soft. FACT
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I'm on my second Mk3 Mondeo , both diesel and very relaible neither has broken down despite huge mileage. Handling is very good, not a sports a car but can cope with very spirited driving easily. Dual Mass Flywheels aren't that much of a problem as mentioned by someone when you take into account the vast numbers sold. You'll not get a bike in the boot without taking the seats down, front wheel off or having a muddy bike hanging over the rear seats. Thule roof rack is what I use with ease.

I came to a Mondeo after saying I'd never have a Ford again, test drove every car in that size and beat them all in refinement/performance/handling/value for money. Passat was dull, A4 better but not by much compared to the cost, Vectra and Astra both suffered from choppy ride, Accord same as Audi, BMW 3 good but felt cramped for it's size, 407 great but had lots of problems with a 406 so weary, Citreon, Renault and Alfa prefer to drive the car than fix it. Only after testing all the above and on the institance of the salesman did I relent to getting into to a Ford and was pleasantly surprised it had every thing with no financial penalty. Now driving an Estate 2.2 tdci and loving it.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Thanks for the testimonial Craig.

My mind is pretty much made up to get a Mondeo, but now I just have to decide 2 or2.5l and hatch or estate.

And sell my other two cars so there's room on the drive!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Focus Estate might do it but all of the Mondeo models are big - The Mondeo Estate is huge. Decent cars all of them. My ford dealer sold me Ford roof bars and Thule bike carriers at a good price. Stick them on Finance too unless you are paying by cash.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I'd go for the 2 litre after having a V6 before they are expensive if anything does go wrong not so much the parts but much more labour involved. If you want the extra pulling power of the V6 go for the diesel instead much more torque
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    CraigXXL wrote:
    If you want the extra pulling power of the V6

Nah, I'm married. And the birds round here don't really go for Mondeos anyway.

:wink:
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    go for 2.0 diesel if you can. good mpg, and cheaper on road tax

My old man has one and regularly gets 50 to the gallon
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    go for a mazda3. oir a new mazda6 if you can. they look awesome.

we have a towbar mounted rack on our car, mazda3, and its been fine to wales, the lake district, plus 'local' blasts to qe country park.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/