Stem measurements.

Van_Heerden
Van_Heerden Posts: 128
edited September 2008 in Workshop
I'm pretty happy with my position on the bike but just feel like I am a little stretched out on longer distance rides.

I am looking at changing my stem to something shorter. I have the standard Giant stem that comes on the X-Large SCR. Where do I meaure from and to to get the stem length?

Perhaps a daft question I know, but just want to avoid having to send one back if i get mail order. From point where it is attached to steerer to where handlebars intersect it appears to be a 130mm would this sound correct to anyone?

Thanks

Van
"The grass is always greener on the other side - unless Jens Voigt has been riding on the other side in which case it's white with the salty, dried tears of all the riders whose souls he has crushed."

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Stems are measured centre-to-centre.

130mm sounds a bit large, but it might be right.

EDIT: Try flipping the stem before buying a new one, you might get your required position that way.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Stems are measured centre-to-centre.

130mm sounds a bit large, but it might be right.

EDIT: Try flipping the stem before buying a new one, you might get your required position that way.

I agree with "red" 130 is a big one. It will definitely get you stretched "out there". Go for the flip first.

Dennis Noward
  • Measuring centre to centre, it strangely appears to be somewhere between 110 and 120 so allowing for mis-measurement i'm going with it as 110.

I have flipped it and it has been better but it still seems a little too much.

Would a jump to 90mm be too much?
    "The grass is always greener on the other side - unless Jens Voigt has been riding on the other side in which case it's white with the salty, dried tears of all the riders whose souls he has crushed."
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Measuring centre to centre, it strangely appears to be somewhere between 110 and 120 so allowing for mis-measurement i'm going with it as 110.

I have flipped it and it has been better but it still seems a little too much.

Would a jump to 90mm be too much?

A 90mm stem is very short for an XL frame are you sure you got the correct frame size? The 90mm stem would work ok though.......
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    if you remove your bars from the stem, you may find that the stem length is inscibed on the inside.

i recently changed stem length. a 1cm change can make a big difference.
    regards,
    dbb