Best tyres for sand?

rock rider
rock rider Posts: 3
edited September 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hi everyone, I'm new to XC and this is my first post- does anybody have any suggestions as to the best tyres for loose deep sand? My riding at the moment consists of trails through a 400 acre pine forest nr San Roque in Southern Spain on very fine loose soil/pine needles/sand-none of which aid traction!! The bike is shod with Michelin XC All Terrains which don't seem to have any bite when I hit the frequent and often large streches of the above, completely bogging down unless I'm on the smallest chain ring. I was thinking of changing tyres but am not sure what type to go for-any suggestions?

Comments

• yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    My cyclo-cross bike works goes well in the sand dunes. The tyres are 38mm and work much better tahn my mountain bike so I'd say that the narrower tyres you can get the better - they cut deep into the sand.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    lol @ yogi!

I've tried riding in deep loose sand with 3" snow tyres, and even that doesn't work. I sank halfway up to the hub :lol: .
    I don;t think there are any tyres that will work well in deep, loose sand.

Now, wet sand, that's a different story altogether.
  • Thanks for that-guess I'll just have to rely on the Mk 1 Legs. At least when I return to oggieland in March I won't have dry sand to worry about, now where's that snorkel gone?
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    I rode in Moab for a few day's and was constantly going over deep dry sand, was huge problem at first but the locals were whizzing over it, it all comes down to technique and practice by the end i was fine. I did ask them what tyres they use but they were all on kenda nevagals anyway. Just keep as straight as you can and ride carefully with your weight in the middle!
    I was clipless when practicing at first so by the time i got back to my motor home it looked like i'd been at the beech all day!
    Carbon is a mans best freind