Which Wheels

alesupper
alesupper Posts: 286
edited September 2008 in Workshop
Hi All

I'm in the market for some new wheels (£200-£300) just for general training and sportifs. I like the look of the Easton EA70's but there doesn't seem to be many reviews out there. Does anyone have these wheels? Are they any good?

Cheers, Alesupper

Comments

  • I have just purchased a Viner Magnifica - not many people know about these Italian bikes, but I am very impressed so far! - and I upgraded my wheels to Fulcrum Racing 3. They are fantastic wheels at a price within your budget. Shop around as the prices vary enormously - I saw some in ProCycling mag advertised at £285 www.jedi-sports.de
    Plenty of stiffness and quality hubs. I don't see any reason to go much better than these. There was a review on this site:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... elset-9775
    Good luck!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Other than the bling factor why would you want carbon wheels for daily riding??
    Carbon wheels are for racing(or bling) and are tubulars(IMHO). Training and general
    riding wheels are all 32 spoke, good quality groupset hubs. Wheels that can be ridden
    on a daily basis, are sturdy, and can be fixed without sending them back to factory.
    See your local bike shop for a really good set of handbuilts. However, if all that money
    is burning holes in your pocket, by all means, spend it on bling.

    Dennis Noward
  • Dennis

    I am confused by your reply. Neither the Easton EA70's or the Fulcrum Racing 3's are carbon wheels are they? As far as I am aware they are both aluminium clinchers.

    Cheers, Alesupper
    dennisn wrote:
    Other than the bling factor why would you want carbon wheels for daily riding??
    Carbon wheels are for racing(or bling) and are tubulars(IMHO). Training and general
    riding wheels are all 32 spoke, good quality groupset hubs. Wheels that can be ridden
    on a daily basis, are sturdy, and can be fixed without sending them back to factory.
    See your local bike shop for a really good set of handbuilts. However, if all that money
    is burning holes in your pocket, by all means, spend it on bling.

    Dennis Noward
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    alesupper wrote:
    Dennis

    I am confused by your reply. Neither the Easton EA70's or the Fulcrum Racing 3's are carbon wheels are they? As far as I am aware they are both aluminium clinchers.

    Cheers, Alesupper
    dennisn wrote:
    Other than the bling factor why would you want carbon wheels for daily riding??



    Carbon wheels are for racing(or bling) and are tubulars(IMHO). Training and general
    riding wheels are all 32 spoke, good quality groupset hubs. Wheels that can be ridden
    on a daily basis, are sturdy, and can be fixed without sending them back to factory.
    See your local bike shop for a really good set of handbuilts. However, if all that money
    is burning holes in your pocket, by all means, spend it on bling.

    Dennis Noward

    I had glanced at Eastons web site quickly and made a mistake and had looked at EC70
    instead of EA70. Sorry about that. :oops: :oops:

    Dennis Noward
  • dennisn wrote:
    Other than the bling factor why would you want carbon wheels for daily riding??
    Carbon wheels are for racing(or bling) and are tubulars(IMHO). Training and general
    riding wheels are all 32 spoke, good quality groupset hubs. Wheels that can be ridden
    on a daily basis, are sturdy, and can be fixed without sending them back to factory.
    See your local bike shop for a really good set of handbuilts. However, if all that money
    is burning holes in your pocket, by all means, spend it on bling.

    Dennis Noward

    TBH Dennis I train on Fulcrum 1's and have had no problems in 2 years or so. Not sure 32 spokes are really needed and hey people like their bikes to look bling; no harm in that eh?
  • Ive been riding Campag Zondas all summer and they are bombproof and bling. They come in both Campag and Shimano freehubs. Bladed spokes and the G3 rear spoke pattern ramp up the bling factor. Theyve been through potholes and are still true. Great for the price, you can pick them up for well under 300 quid.
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    Have no experience of them but Halo Mercury wheels seem nice, lightish and £235.
  • Billios (or anyone else who owns some Campag Zondas)

    I like the look of the Campag Zondas, but reading owners reviews on the web a lot of people are saying that the front wheel isn't stiff enough. Some even say that the rim will rub on the break pads whilst riding up hill out of the saddle. Have you found this?

    Do Zondas have sealed bearings?

    Cheers, Alesupper
    Billios wrote:
    Ive been riding Campag Zondas all summer and they are bombproof and bling. They come in both Campag and Shimano freehubs. Bladed spokes and the G3 rear spoke pattern ramp up the bling factor. Theyve been through potholes and are still true. Great for the price, you can pick them up for well under 300 quid.
  • Yes the Fulcrum Racing 3 look like a potential candidate for my new wheels. They mention that they have "high quality angular contact bearings", are these sealed bearings? I hope so!

    Cheers, Alesupper
    mcmikeec wrote:
    I have just purchased a Viner Magnifica - not many people know about these Italian bikes, but I am very impressed so far! - and I upgraded my wheels to Fulcrum Racing 3. They are fantastic wheels at a price within your budget. Shop around as the prices vary enormously - I saw some in ProCycling mag advertised at £285 www.jedi-sports.de
    Plenty of stiffness and quality hubs. I don't see any reason to go much better than these. There was a review on this site:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... elset-9775
    Good luck!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    alesupper wrote:
    Yes the Fulcrum Racing 3 look like a potential candidate for my new wheels. They mention that they have "high quality angular contact bearings", are these sealed bearings? I hope so!

    Cheers, Alesupper
    mcmikeec wrote:
    I have just purchased a Viner Magnifica - not many people know about these Italian bikes, but I am very impressed so far! - and I upgraded my wheels to Fulcrum Racing 3. They are fantastic wheels at a price within your budget. Shop around as the prices vary enormously - I saw some in ProCycling mag advertised at £285 www.jedi-sports.de
    Plenty of stiffness and quality hubs. I don't see any reason to go much better than these. There was a review on this site:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... elset-9775
    Good luck!

    Stu,

    I had very bad experiences with my Fulrum 3s. They only lasted one week in and two descents of mt Ventoux and all the screws on my spokes came loose. Other people have had no probs with them though and I was well happy with them in regards to climbing and they felt real good and responsive.

    I think I just was unlucky. I am sure other people on this forum will vouch for them.
    Brian B.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You could also add American Classic CR420s to your list - fairly light, semi-aero and pretty robust. Not so suitable for a big heavy rider as they are lacking in lateral stiffness. Fulcrum, Easton and Mavic all have excellent reputations too - they rarely make duff wheels. You could also buy a decent pair of handbuilts for your money, but build quality is critical and so selection of a reputable builder is important.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Hey alesupper,

    I havent had any brake rub at all. They are stiff and roll really smooth, especially compared to the original wheels that came with my bike (Alexrims laced to 105 hubs).

    I dont believe the bearings are sealed, but in true campag style, easily repairable. But I havent had any problems yet.

    That is my experience of them, and they were highly recommended when I asked pretty much the same question about 6 months ago (If you do a search you can find the thread)

    Hope this is usefull