headset on a gt avalanche 3.0

spuddle
spuddle Posts: 61
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hiya guys, ive had my gt avalanche 3.0 since january and been upgrading a few things here and there and thought it was about time i changed the headset from a cheap plasticy all seperate parts one to a sealed bearing type, the problem is ive been looking at the spec of the headset ive got and it says on the website ....

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... ID=8707337

and i cant find a suitable replacement

have tried a fsa impact, with the right dimensions but it just doesnt seem to fit, anyone any ideas?

thanks for any help!

Comments

• anyone?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what do you have as a headset now?

the one you linked too?

you need a zero stack headset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • yeah the one in the picture, i know, the fsa impact is supposed to be the exact same fit, but it doesnt fit...
  • TonyS
    TonyS Posts: 104
    There's nothing that wrong with the standard HS, ok it's caged ball/cone but grease and preload every month or so is all it needs. Drop the cage and go full house yes, replace before worn out no, spend the money on a decent fork, lighter/stronger wheelset or hydro brakes first.
  • nicklouse
    spuddle wrote:
    yeah the one in the picture, i know, the fsa impact is supposed to be the exact same fit, but it doesnt fit...

the Impact is NOT a zero stack headset it is an Integrated.

if you are not sure of the standards read the info on Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • TonyS wrote:
    There's nothing that wrong with the standard HS, ok it's caged ball/cone but grease and preload every month or so is all it needs.
    yes i know theres nothing wrong with it, exept one of the bearings had popped out, and the whole bottom bearing has bent

TonyS wrote:
    Drop the cage and go full house yes, replace before worn out no,
    it has worn out, im not someone that buys something for the sake of it
    TonyS wrote:
    spend the money on a decent fork, lighter/stronger wheelset or hydro brakes first.
    got a stronger wheel set after getting hit by a car and buckling the back wheel (and sent flying ver the side of a bridge and tearing my arm open on a branch and saw my own bones and got a 7" scar on my arm) and also got a set of hayes stroker trail
  • nicklouse
  • thanks for ya help!
  • can i just ask if your sure it will fit before i buy one, just that it says outside diameter 50mm, but on the spec for the hearset thats in at the min it says 44mm :?
  • ok, so this is the 3rd headset and suprise suprise, it doesnt fit, the bearings are too tall, anyone any other sugestions??
  • nicklouse
    are you trying to fit the "new" bearings to the old cups?
  • jbhjbh
    jbhjbh Posts: 4
    spuddle wrote:
    hiya guys, ive had my gt avalanche 3.0 since january and been upgrading a few things here and there and thought it was about time i changed the headset from a cheap plasticy all seperate parts one to a sealed bearing type, the problem is ive been looking at the spec of the headset ive got and it says on the website ....

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... ID=8707337

and i cant find a suitable replacement

have tried a fsa impact, with the right dimensions but it just doesnt seem to fit, anyone any ideas?

thanks for any help!

Hi Spuddle

I am currently having the same problem and was wondering whether you had found a solution yet?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I hope so, it was three years ago;-)

Do you have the same bike?
  • jbhjbh
    Yes I have the same bike with the same problem now that it has come to replacing the headset. Do you know anything about this problem?
  • supersonic
    GT uses widely available headsets, Zerostack:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/kinesis- ... 47057.html

The OP had problems as he bought the wrong type, then tried what seems to fit the new bearings to the old cups.
  • jbhjbh
    Are you sure this is the correct part? It's just that my bike shop was adamant that they couldn't find the correct part. It's for a 2006 GT Avalanche 3.0. If it is the correct part I will buy it as I am desperate for my bike to be usable again.
  • supersonic
    Yes the 2006 uses a Zero Stack headset.
  • jbhjbh
    Many Thanks for your help