Bell Sweep R or Giro Ionos

Slow Downcp
Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
edited September 2008 in Workshop
Time to buy a new helmet - I've tried the Giro and it fits well (current helmet also a Giro), guy at work bringing his Sweep R in tomorrow for me to try for fit. Assuming the fit is as good as the Giro, how much difference is there between the two? I can get the Giro for £100, the Bell for £60 - is the Giro worth £40 extra?
Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos

Comments

• My new Ionos Just arrived from Wiggle today, and a very nice looking helmet it is too. Very comfortable. Comes with a spare set of pads, and also a larger wind blocking pad designed for winter use. It's not as light as the Spesh S-Works, but I think it looks a lot better.

I think the Bell looks quite nice too.

:D
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Just buy the one you want (like most).
    If both fit.

Easy as that... they both work the same! It is purely cosmetic from the sound of your question. Giro may vent better, but it isn't a question anyone can answer for you as either will do the job adequately.
  • Scrumple wrote:
    Just buy the one you want (like most).
    If both fit.

Easy as that... they both work the same! It is purely cosmetic from the sound of your question. Giro may vent better, but it isn't a question anyone can answer for you as either will do the job adequately.

I guess this is what I was getting at - the Giro seems to push the ventilation side of things, just wondered how people found the Bell who've used it. I suffer with bad headaches if I overheat too much (even if I drink plenty)
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I had a helios and was looking to replace it - I went for the Sweep and saved the £40.

Dont think my head can tell what helmet it has on it to be honest, and I survived a 112 miles in the 30 degree heat of Nice - so it must be half decent.
  • Where can you get the Bell Sweep for £60? Medium?

Supposed to be getting my Giro Atmos replaced under the crash scheme but they are out of stock till end of September. So am without a helmet till then. If i could get the bell for £60 i will get that. Cant find med for £60
  • Where can you get the Bell Sweep for £60? Medium?

Supposed to be getting my Giro Atmos replaced under the crash scheme but they are out of stock till end of September. So am without a helmet till then. If i could get the bell for £60 i will get that. Cant find med for £60

Stonehenge cycles have them for £60, although colours may be limited. I've tried on the Bell andit doesn't fit as well as the Ionos as it 's quite a wide helmet so will be going with the Giro I think.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Why not get a Bell Volt. Released in the next couple of weeks.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Timoid. wrote:

I was thinking about that, but read that it would be very late Nov before available (and they're £120 - £20 more even than I can get an Ionos, assuming no disounts will be available to start with)
  • i cought an ionos because i suffer from an overheating tete and i can definaltey reccomend it on that score. It's much cooler than my old Giro Monza and i can now go for summer rides without sweat pouring onto my shades obscuring my vision :D I can't compare it to the Bell as i've not used it but the Ionos is certainly a good choice (and i agree it looks better)
    pm
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    i hav the sweepR, & seeing the csc team used them last year, good enough reason http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Bell_Sweep_R_Helmet/5360020234/ for the reviews if theyre worth to go by. tho what about the giro atmos?
    hope u get what ur lookin for.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    The Bell is supposed to be good - I've got a Pneumo and that's cool, so the Atmos and Ionos are cooler...

I'll probably go for the Sweep R next - I like the lines of it !
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Timoid. wrote:

I was thinking about that, but read that it would be very late Nov before available (and they're £120 - £20 more even than I can get an Ionos, assuming no disounts will be available to start with)

89 quid here. Have to get he blue and white version though, the other ones are out later.

http://activesportskit.co.uk/product_in ... ts_id=3933

Tempted?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Timoid. wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

89 quid here. Have to get he blue and white version though, the other ones are out later.

http://activesportskit.co.uk/product_in ... ts_id=3933

Tempted?

Possibly, but one of those things I need to try on first I guess. Crystal Blue Ionos looks nice - it'd even match my tyres and bar tape 8)