Bathroom Scales?

richa
richa Posts: 1,632
edited September 2008 in Workshop
I am in the market for a new set of bathroom scales as . My last set (Tanita BC530) have gone kaput. So, any recomendations?

I would like:
- measure weight
- body fat%
- accurate*

* by accurate, I really mean I am after a conistant figure. i.e. no point having weight increments of 100g, if accuracy is only to nearest kg.

Thanks.
Rich

Comments

• richa
    edited September 2008
    I am thinking about going for:
    Salter 9106 Glass Body Analyser Scale
    What can the Salter Glass Body Analyser Scale (9106) do?
    - Body Fat percentage
    - Body water percentage
    - Muscle mass percentage
    - Bone mass
    - Athlete Mode
    - 10 user memory slots.
    - 180kg / 28st 8lb / 396lb working in graduation of 100 g / 0.2 lb
    - 15 year manufactures guarantee.

Any thoughts?
    Rich
  • Aidanw
    Aidanw Posts: 449
    Nintendo Wii Fit?!

Does not do the body fat though :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Save your money. They are so variable its absolutely pointless. I've seen 'fitness assessments' at work being done and the instructor telling a size 8 girl that she's verging on the obese - according to what the scales have told him. And those scales were pricier than that one mentioned.

If you pay a couple of hundred pounds - you would get a bit more accuracy - unless you have a wee before getting on them, and then forget the next time...
  • Aidanw wrote:
    Nintendo Wii Fit?!

Does not do the body fat though :)

That's what i use lol. I do question the accuracy of the scales though.....does anybody know just how accurate it is?
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Rich - can you afford the scales and your subscription renewal for Heat magazine?

A man using scales, I ask you... :roll:

:wink:
  • richa
    Nuggs wrote:
    Hmmm. There seems to be general scorn on me wanting to chart my weight progress.

I guess I am a data man. Like to have the data and to monitor my progress. You see, how do I put this, I am big boned ( :lol: ) and in order to get my performance up to an acceptable level (to me) I need to improve my power to weight.

Losing weight is not really much fun, it is saying no to those little treats that otherwise I would like to eat. What helps my motivation is seeing the progress that my abstanance (together with training) is making. Weekly monitoring of my weight helps with focus.

I have no reason to doubt that a set of bathroom scales can't be pretty accurate (for weight). I do however accept that the body fat% is pretty arbitary, but find it interesting nevertheless.
    Rich
  • RichA wrote:
    Nuggs wrote:
    Hmmm. There seems to be general scorn on me wanting to chart my weight progress.

I guess I am a data man. Like to have the data and to monitor my progress. You see, how do I put this, I am big boned ( :lol: ) and in order to get my performance up to an acceptable level (to me) I need to improve my power to weight.

Losing weight is not really much fun, it is saying no to those little treats that otherwise I would like to eat. What helps my motivation is seeing the progress that my abstanance (together with training) is making. Weekly monitoring of my weight helps with focus.

I have no reason to doubt that a set of bathroom scales can't be pretty accurate (for weight). I do however accept that the body fat% is pretty arbitary, but find it interesting nevertheless.

IMHO there's nothing wrong with checking on weight as long as you're not obsessed by it as many people are (some people weigh themselves 3 times a day :shock: ). If you're a 'data man' then this is just part of your collection. You're using this resource to improve performance, not to get into your size 0 black dress. I use scales myself to check on dehydration and power/weight and as a year to year, season to season fluctuation thing. If you keep detailed training logs (we all do, of course :wink: ) then it's interesting and informative to compare what you're performance stats v body composition are. You can then plan accordingly to improve :)
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The actual weight is less important than a measurement of weight loss. All scales will have some measurement error (reduced by regular calibration), but hopefully the error will be systematic (so, for example, maybe 500g out, but consistently so) rather than a random error. I would also expect some variability due to environmental and other variables, however maybe you are more concerned with the big picture (no pun intended) rather than measurement of tiny increments, so I am not sure there is a great benefit to be had by paying loads of money for your scales. Probably you should not be weighing yourself more than once a week, and the weigh-in should be at the same time of day each week.
  • richa
    FWIW, I do the weigh-in on a Monday morning at 7am.
    Rich
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Damn I cant do that. I dont get up by 7....
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    RichA wrote:
    FWIW, I do the weigh-in on a Monday morning at 7am.
    Does that allow sufficient time to be post-dump?
  • richa
    Well it is usually between 7am & half past. Before I have my cuppa.

Since you ask, I empty the tanks if required.
    Rich
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    My wife bought one of those scales. Supposed to measure just about everything and
    a claimed accuracy of some high percentage. About the only thing I trust, and use, is
    actual weight. Anyway she paid big money for it. What a waste. If you want to know how fat you are or aren't take a look in the mirror and maybe pinch a few spots on your body with body fat calipers once a week or so. That will tell you whether you are losing
    fat or not lots better than scales. A bodybuilder once told me "if you can't clearly see
    your ab's, you're to fat". Obviously, I have not listened to his advice these last few years
    or should I say decades. :oops: :oops: Anyway, the mirror and the pinch never lie.

Dennis Noward
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    A piece of string is about the best thing you can you use to tract your progress. Use it measure whatever bit of you want.

Plenty of scrape sticks out there that you can't see their abs.