Tea or Coffee?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited September 2008 in The Crudcatcher
Just wondering which of these do people drink most of on an average week?

i've got to do a dissertation for my Nutrition degree and was thinking about doing it on something related to tea, coffee, caffeine and alertness...

would be interesting for me to see the ratio of what people drink :)

Cheers
Ben

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    coffee as it is always fresh at work. but some times i just have to have a cuppa.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Coffee in the daytime, tea in the evening, prob 2:1 ratio
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Here's my average weekday. Someone thought it would be a good idea to put a Costa Coffee in the office, so I've become even more addicted than I used to be:

7:30 - Get up, Yorkshire Tea
    10:00 - Trip to Costa for a cappuccino
    12:30 - Lunch, then another trip to Costa for a macchiato/espresso
    15:00 - Another trip to Costa for another cappuccino
    17:30 - Home, another Yorkshire Tea

Weekends I usually start off with a cafetiere of coffee, then switch back to tea for the rest of the day.

Today I'd been trying to avoid Costa to save money, been sat in front of Matlab (if you know, you'll understand, if not, you're lucky!) all day and had a splitting headache, decided it was caffeine withdrawl symptoms so went for a cappuccino and felt fine after! Would try to wean myself off it but I like the taste too much.
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    tea (weak as p15s with loads of milk and 2 sugars) with biscuits

coffee (always black with 1 sugar but sometimes i add milk) the rest of the time
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Tetley tea by the bucketload, I average 50 cups a week but haven't bought any tea bags since end of feb as I bought 1100 in one hit!
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    About three cups of tea before lunch and a small cafetiere of coffee in the afternoon.

Cannot STAND instant coffee any more.

Hard to find decent coffee - Cafe Nero do it quite well as does a cafe in Wadebridge - won "Barista of the Year" in a UK comp - lush espressos!
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Neither, both are shit. Too much effort for such a rubbish drink.
  • Anonymous
    fresh, ultra strong java coffee, from a filter machine of cafetiere. mmmmmm.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    yorkshire tea plus a tsp of honey.
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    i don't like either so lucazade or red bull is my kick starter
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • hmm cheers for the replies :)

think i've decided what my dissertation will be now :)

it'll be to study the difference in reaction time (measure on a pc with a clicky mouse programme) after a cup of tea, coffee or a caffeine supplement such as pro-plus...and also a placebo such as water.

as caffeine is supposed to stimulate the mind and increase alertness etc it should be easy enough for me to actually get some decent results :)
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Tea. I'm curious - do you really think this is 'interesting'?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Water. Always have, always will.
    I am considerably more rock and roll than you.

Road. Mountain. Up hill and down dale...
  • Here's my average weekday. Someone thought it would be a good idea to put a Costa Coffee in the office, so I've become even more addicted than I used to be:

7:30 - Get up, Yorkshire Tea
    10:00 - Trip to Costa for a cappuccino
    12:30 - Lunch, then another trip to Costa for a macchiato/espresso
    15:00 - Another trip to Costa for another cappuccino
    17:30 - Home, another Yorkshire Tea

Weekends I usually start off with a cafetiere of coffee, then switch back to tea for the rest of the day.

Today I'd been trying to avoid Costa to save money, been sat in front of Matlab (if you know, you'll understand, if not, you're lucky!) all day and had a splitting headache, decided it was caffeine withdrawl symptoms so went for a cappuccino and felt fine after! Would try to wean myself off it but I like the taste too much.

Sheeeshhhh If you are using matlab I am surprised there are not more coffees in your daily intake. :lol: Matlab brings horror memories of Engineering assignments back in the day.
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'
  • passout wrote:
    Tea. I'm curious - do you really think this is 'interesting'?

I do actually.... i wouldn't have taken the course if i thought it was boring!

i'm wanting to do some studies for a few years when i graduate, there's one at the moment looking into peanut allergies...£25,000 starting wage + £2500 for being in london area isn't too shabby. plus it gains experience, meaning i have more options to what i can choose to do :)
  • Always drink coffee usually de-caf. The taste and smell of tea is just repulsive, and how anyone can put milk into something so acidic I don't know :shock:

Only time I have drunk tea was when I was pregnant and even the smell of coffee made me ill (it was great having to to do a 2 train station trip to and from work :? ).
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • lovewales wrote:
    Always drink coffee usually de-caf. The taste and smell of tea is just repulsive, and how anyone can put milk into something so acidic I don't know :shock:

Only time I have drunk tea was when I was pregnant and even the smell of coffee made me ill (it was great having to to do a 2 train station trip to and from work :? ).

interesting, i could also use de-caf tea/coffee as a placebo, cheers for that one :)
  • Sheeeshhhh If you are using matlab I am surprised there are not more coffees in your daily intake. :lol: Matlab brings horror memories of Engineering assignments back in the day.

He he yeah I'm quite restrained really! I'm deliberately avoiding bringing my own coffee in and using the kettle behind me as it would quickly get out of hand and I'd never get any sleep. Might try it for a week anyway and see if the Matlab/Simulink productivity goes up!
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    BigBen - £27.5k doesn't go very far at all in London...!
  • lol i know that...hardly managing to pay my way atm studying :(

only thing with the above job is that my uncle lives just round the corner, so would work out ok....there's quite a few of them going on around the country....all about getting a years experience really :D
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    TEa all the way. Even partial to a odd cup of earl gray sometimes. Coffee stinks like the devils pi$$
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Tea at home, coffee at work, instant coffee is nicer than instant tea, just!
  • Anonymous
    batch78 wrote:
    Tea at home, coffee at work, instant coffee is nicer than instant tea, just!
    eugh, instant tea :evil:
  • Tea for me - I used to have sugar with my tea, I'd pour it in and I knew there was enough in there when I could no longer see the teabag! Now I don't have any sugar in tea at all.
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    edited September 2008
    I drink tea at home but get free coffee at work. Given the choice I'd drink tea.

A music video on YouTube for all Tea Lovers:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eELH0ivexKA
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Tea all the way, although I am partial to a fresh Espresso, Sainsbury's do a fantastic range of fair trade tea's these days, their Kenyan blend is great.

I am a sad, sad bean.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Three or four cups of coffee a week for me, otherwise try to keep myself going with water and an apple.
  • coffee all day long!! I should have shares in starbucks!
  • cup of tea!
    You are what you drink, and i'm a bitter man