Lack of vision in Right Eye

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited September 2008 in Workshop
Problem:

Female, new to cycling, still relatively nervous riding. Rides a hybrid/ MTB on road, but has very poor vision in right eye which makes it difficult for her to see traffic if looking over right shoulder, eg before right turn etc.

Solution
I think a solution would be a mirror.

Any other ideas? Any recommendations of a decent mirror for her that would fit a flat barred bike

Thanks
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• a helmet mounted mirror?? - on her left side pointing backwards to her right??

just a thought.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    This Blackburn Mult-Mirror works very well, good field of view, doesn't vibrate, very positionable, stands up to knocks well, just a tenner.

zefal%20multi%20mirror.jpg
  • spen666
    thanks

gundesen, I'm not sure I follow your logic, will a helemt mounted mirror as you suggest not be angled into her body and hence she will merely see hereslf and not what is behind her - or am I being stupid :?:

Twittering @spen_666
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,708
    Solution: Move to a country where they drive on the right, then her good eye will be used when looking back.
  • angled to right side past the back of her head
    that would mean she could use her left eye to see to her right side
  • spen666
    whyamihere wrote:
    Solution: Move to a country where they drive on the right, then her good eye will be used when looking back.
    I had suggested that one to her, but she said its too far to commute from there to her job

Twittering @spen_666
  • I have very poor eyesight in the right eye myself, effectively periphal vision with no focusing at all. I ride with glasses (same lens strenghth in both sides so my head doesn't look wonky to other people) and use a contact lens in the left eye when I can be bothered to get round to it.
    Personally, I've never felt the need for a mirror on the bike or helmet and if anything I probably look behind more often than a lot of the better sighted riders I know. I'll admit that I'll never race, but thats more likely to be down to the fact I'm not that good...
    However, I think that the best mirror solution would be off the handlebar as a helmet mounted mirror on the right side of the head would be impossible to see with your left eye. I'm suer I remember seeing adverts a while ago for amirror that mounted on the stem, something like the wide angle clip on rearview mirrors you can get for cars.
    Whatever works best for you don't worry about being monocular on the bike, it should be no more of a problem than driving a car.
  • When I said you, I meant her...

I've always found it much weirder looking back over my left shoulder when riding abroad...