Good all round tyre

ianjaytee
ianjaytee Posts: 46
edited September 2008 in Workshop
Looking for a good all round tyre decent puncture resistance and grip in both wet and dry any suggestions

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Pro Race 2/Pro Race 3/ Conti GP4000S
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Michelin Krylion's do it for me - not sure if they are back on the market yet but they make a great all rounder.

Peter
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    +1 Michelin Krylion Carbons (if you can get them).
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Pro Race 2 or 3
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Conti GP4000S - great tyres.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MICHELIN-PRO-RACE ... 286.c0.m14

Pro Race 2 come up new on Ebay for the 30 quid mark quire regularly.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Has to be the Krylions. GP4000s are simply too sketchy when cornering hard in the wet and whilst PR3s are great tyres, I'm not sure I'd want to run them all year.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • just fitted some Schwalbe Blizzards. They replaced some Conti 4 Seasons. The Schwalbe's are superb. The best all round tyre I've used, and I've been riding for 20yrs+

They're basically the Schwalbe Stelvio but with a tread. They're fast and grippy. I've only used them a couple of times but the puncture resistance is supposed to be good too.

They're £21 each
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    MD - I've not noticed any difference in the wet between summer and winter this year ! My GP4000S have been fine thru the bends so far...
  • As a long time Krylium owner I am ever more impressed with the Pro Race 3's. And they appear to be just as resilient.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Has to be the Krylions. GP4000s are simply too sketchy when cornering hard in the wet and whilst PR3s are great tyres, I'm not sure I'd want to run them all year.

A lot of people do.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Rubino Pro's (if you're on a budget) - mine have been taking 80 - 120 miles a week lately (makes a change for me :) ) - good puncture resistance, supple ride, good grip, nice rollers.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Vitto ... 360010640/
  • Bought some Carbon Kyrilions. First time out got a p)nc&u£e. That could have been due to a pinch flat though.

They give a lovely ride though. Had the Scwalbe Blizzard's but found the tread wore out pretty quickly.

I have had Conti Ultrasport and Gatorskins in the past and when it rained I felt like bambi on ice.
  • ianjaytee wrote:
    Looking for a good all round tyre decent puncture resistance and grip in both wet and dry any suggestions

Whilst Mitchelin Pro Race are superb Race tyres and I use then on my race wheels they do not match your spec unless you want to be replacing them every month or sliding on your **rse all winter. Go for a more durable training tyre. Personally I favour Specialized Armadillos for training. Brill grip, superb puncture resistance
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Michelin Lithiums, used them all season, no p%n$t*r&s all season. Not the lightest but safe and sure.
  • Mettan wrote:
    Rubino Pro's (if you're on a budget) - mine have been taking 80 - 120 miles a week lately (makes a change for me :) ) - good puncture resistance, supple ride, good grip, nice rollers.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Vittoria_Rubino_Pro_Tyre/5360010640/

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Rubino Pro and the Rubino Pro Tech? Same price. Any better/worse? Apart from the fact that they only come in black?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Vittoria_Rubino_Pro_Tech_Tyre/5360010641/
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
  • "Can anyone tell me the difference between the Rubino Pro and the Rubino Pro Tech? Same price. Any better/worse? Apart from the fact that they only come in black?"

Think i saw some-one else ask this and the reply came back that the techs are a bit tougher but slightly heavier/slower, hope this helps
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    massiman wrote:
    ianjaytee wrote:

Whilst Mitchelin Pro Race are superb Race tyres and I use then on my race wheels they do not match your spec unless you want to be replacing them every month or sliding on your **rse all winter. Go for a more durable training tyre. Personally I favour Specialized Armadillos for training. Brill grip, superb puncture resistance

Agreed. Last set of Pro 2 Race I had lasted three months before I had to bin them, same with Vittoria Corsa Evo CX
  • After trying various tyres I am now a loyal gp4000 fan
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    edited September 2008
    I've been running 25C yellow G4000's on my Aksium’s for a month or two. They've been good and I haven't been visited by you know who - yet. Think I could be converted to running 25Cs.
    Still, come the end of September I'll be swapping them out for Krylions.
  • I've been using Pro2s this Summer and they aren't that long lasting - not a criticism of a race tyre but I wouldn't recommend them for all year round - just got some Pro3s but not fitted them yet. I was going to use Krylions for training but as they aren't available gone back to Rubino Pros for this Winter as I've found them a good all rounder in the past and they do last.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    all round tires

armadillios

or the hutch winter

the Rubinos I liked the feel but had sidewall cuts twice on those.. bad luck or thin walls?

tend to run 23s all yr round..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • I'm just looking on a website that offers Road Tubular and Road Clincher tires.

How do I know which ones I need for my bike?

Thanks
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    If you want puncture free (commuting), go for the Specialized Armadillos. I haven't had a single puncture this summer with them. Their only problem is the harsher ride they give, and the fact that they don't have as much grip as others.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    If you want grip don't get Armadillos. Bulletproof tyres but slippy as hell.

I have Continental Ultra Gatorskins on tourer and commuter- these grip a lot better than the Armadillos did. Schwalbe Ultremos on the racer. Must say I am very happy with the latter tyre, good puncture protection for a race tyre, very light and good grip too.